Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Intel 5300 full size and laptop D630 windows XP

LG4
Novice

Hi

I bought a wifi 5300 card and I'm having issues with drivers on windows xp. I know the card itself is working by installing ubuntu 13.04 on the same laptop with on issues. Windows XP generates code 10 in event log with wrong driver message and can't active it. I tried many different drivers from dell support and intel web sites, but nothing works. I even reinstall windows as well.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Hello LeoG. Please be aware that there are some reasons for an aftermarket wireless adapter not to work correctly in your system. Some of these causes may include the following:

• The system manufacturer may have included a lock to prevent the installation of another adapter.
  • Your adapter may not be electrically compatible with your laptop that may cause the adapter and/or your laptop to no longer function.
  • Wireless hardware installation and use is subject to regulatory approval, and the adapter purchased may not support your local regulations.

In this case we recommend you contacting your system manufacturer since only they are entitled to provide the list of certified adapters that are compatible with your system and facilitate the hardware integration.

For additional information, please check the following articles:

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/cs-011644.htm Intel� Wi-Fi Products; Regulatory information regarding hardware installation or upgrade

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-031167.htm Intel� Wi-Fi Products; Why doesn't my laptop recognize my new Intel� wireless adapter?

I am sorry for any inconvenience.

0 Kudos
LG4
Novice

I do understand that some laptop manufacturers block card in their BIOS, but I don't think this is the case in my situation. The card does work very well in Ubuntu OS in the same laptop. Bios does recognize it as well.

Any other thoughts?

0 Kudos
LG4
Novice

Joe

Any other thoughts?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

As mentioned earlier, only the system manufacturer is authorized to integrate such wireless adapters due to regulatory requirements. Please refer to the articles posted above.

I am sorry again.

0 Kudos
LG4
Novice

I'm sorry if I'm missing something here. Same laptop 2 OSs. One OS works and another doesn't.

Can you elaborate?

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

What I am trying to explain is that the integration of Intel® wireless adapters is only supported by the Original Equipment Manufacturer (O.E.M.).

Thank you for understanding.

0 Kudos
LG4
Novice

I have been in IT/IS business for over 23 years so I understand policies and procedures. Are you saying that firmware in the card is the issue because it is programmed to a specific OEM manufacturer? I had been in contact with Dell and they don't block any cards in the BIOS and they say it is supported card from their perspective. Thanks

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

It is possible the firmware or the version of the adapter itself is not compatible with your system.

0 Kudos
LG4
Novice

Joe

I really appreciate you are trying to help me, but why doe sit work in Linux. Can you explain that?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Linux* handles the hardware in a different way but we are unable to provide further information on this matter due to the statements presented above.

0 Kudos