Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2047 Discussions

Blue screen on Z170, RAID-0 2x m.2 Samsung SSD 950 Pro, driver 14.6.0.1029 on Windows 10

mKrai
Beginner

I get system crashes (Blue screens) when using the

Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) driver

on Windows 10

Driver Version 14.6.0.1029

The ERROR is:

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (iaStorA.sys)

My board is: Z170 OC Formula P1.90

Intel Core i7-6700k

I am using two SSDs in Configuration RAID0(Stripe)

Strip Size 64KB

Size 953,9 GB

SSD Type is:

Samsung SSD 950 Pro 512GB

NVMe/PCIe

The blue screens disappear when uninstalling Intel RST driver (revert in device manager)

Please help me with the system crash!

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi kwinz,

There are some issues of compatibility with the latest Windows® 10 update 1511. Please uninstall the update and test your system again. Double check if your system is over clocking the processor; it could create an unstable system.

Verify from Asrock website if you already have the latest chipset (INF) and Management Engine drivers.

Regards,

Mike C
0 Kudos
mKrai
Beginner

Hi Mike,

thank you for supporting!

1. I am unsure on how to uninstall that update. I can remove updates, but those start with KB.....

2. The system is 100% stable and works without BSOD crash when Intel RST software is not installed.

In fact when I click on REVERT DRIVER in device manager then I do not get BSOD any more. However then Intel RST stops working and I can't see my raid any more.

This is a screenshot before revert. The system crashes every 1-10min of normal use and also during shutdown of the computer.

And here is a screenshot of the same device after revert (the BSOD have stopped but Intel RST is not working any more). Notice that the device name has changed as well:

3. I have now installed latest inf and ME drivers from Asrock website.

INF(v10.1.1.12).zip

ME(v11.0.0.1183_MEI).zip

I hope it helps.

Thanks again!

Best

Markus

0 Kudos
mKrai
Beginner

Dear Mike!

I just got another blue screen of death when opening the Intel RST user interface. So I am afraid that installing the ME and INF drivers did not solve the problem.

Please let me know how to proceed!

Best

Markus

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi kwinz,

Intel desktop/workstation/Server Express RAID Controller (Intel® RSTe) is the enterprise version while the Intel Chipset SATA RAID Controller is the desktop version.

Your motherboard has the enterprise version loaded, that's why the desktop version is giving to you an issue. It is necessary to create the RAID again using the desktop version.

Asrock recommends to use the desktop version. http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z170%20OC%20Formula/?cat=Download&os=Win1064 ASRock > Z170 OC Formula

Regards,

Mike C
0 Kudos
mKrai
Beginner

Hi Mike,

I don't understand what you want me to do:

• The Server Express RAID Controller (Intel® RSTe) aka. the enterprise version driver was automatically installed by Windows. The system does NOT crash but the RAID volume does not work.
  • with Intel Chipset SATA RAID Controller aka the desktop version the RAID volume works but I get a blue screen every few minutes! https://goo.gl/photos/i6Qiy6wLi7b5DMiUA https://goo.gl/photos/i6Qiy6wLi7b5DMiUA

Neither option is a satisfactory solution for me!

Please I need actual help! Most likely a bugfix for the desktop version driver that fixes the blue screen crashes.

Best regards

Markus

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi kwinz,

The current driver installed on your motherboard is not the right one. Your system has the enterprise version and it is necessary the desktop version. I suggest you to uninstall the current RSTe driver from programs and install the version included at AsRock website support. Then, you can update the version.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z170%20OC%20Formula/?cat=Download&os=Win1064 ASRock > Z170 OC Formula

Regards,

Mike C
0 Kudos
mKrai
Beginner

Mike,

I uninstalled all the drivers from programs and rebootet.

Then I installed INF(v10.1.1.12).zip and rebootet.

Then I installed ME(v11.0.0.1183_MEI).zip and rebootet

Then I installed RapidStorage(v14.6.0.1029).zip and rebootet.

I am still getting BSOD crashes.

Best

Markus

0 Kudos
mKrai
Beginner

Dear Mike,

dear Intel Staff,

I feel like we have exhausted the reinstalling options and we have enough information that show that the Intel driver is causing a serious system crash.

Also this issue should be fairly consistently reproducible.

Mike, is there any way you can escalate this to the driver team? So they can produce a bugfix for next RST release?

I would be happy to provide further information.

Best

Markus

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi kwinz,

I recently created a RAID 10 configuration and ran it for 5 days without any issue. Could you please provide us more information about the issue? Please reply with the msinfo32, run our Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool and send to us the information available at view tab.

Additionally, send us the brand name and model of the RAM, graphics card and any other hardware installed

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool-64-bit- Download Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool (64-bit)

msinfo32: Right click the start button, select run, type msinfo32 (System information). Copy and paste in the thread the information.

Regards

Mike C
0 Kudos
mKrai
Beginner

Dear Mike,

ASRock support provided me with a beta version of Intel RST (v14.8.0.1042).

This has fixed the crashes and my issues are gone.

Thank you!

Best

Markus

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi kwinz,

I am glad your system is working properly now. Thank you for your feedback.

Regards,

Mike C
0 Kudos