Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20602 Discussions

Can you pls help me increase the available memory for the Intel HD Graphics 2000 series video card?

idata
Employee

Thank you for taking the time to read this. So real quick, these are the specs for my PC... Dell Inspiron 620, I5 2.9g processor, 6gb of Ram, running Windows 7 home, Intel HD Graphics 2000 w most up to date driver version (9.17.10.3347) and the Intel Graphics and Media Control Panel. - Which says the total amount of available graphics memory is 1.6gb and the dedicated video memory is 64mb.

So my questions are;

-(Despite my previous attempts, maybe I missed something) Is there any other software or way for me to raise the declared amount of memory for usage by the video card? I know the I7 has the same line of card and the video control panel offers a customize option on the memory specs, but I haven't been able to find an option like that on what I currently have. I also couldn't find a version number on the software installed.

-If I upgrade my RAM to 8Gb will it automatically raise the graphics card memory?

I've attached 2 screenshots of my video card graphics properties and the graphics media control panel. Any help on this matter is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again for reading and for your responses.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hello Bluehorizon34,

I understand you would like to know if the graphics controller can use more than 1.6GB of video memory.

Let me apologize for any inconvenience this issue may be causing to you.

Intel® HD Graphics 2000 supports up to 1.7GB of video memory so it is not possible to make the graphics controller use more than that. You can confirm that in the following link https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005472.html https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005472.html

If you increase RAM memory to 8GB the graphics controller will keep using up to 1.7GB of video memory.

Let me know if you have or not any other inquiry.

Regards,

Fred D.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
AlHill
Super User

If your machine is a desktop and has an available PCIe X16 slot, the best thing you can do for yourself is to find an add-on graphics card (either nvidia or amd-based).

You will save yourself a lot of time, effort, and trouble, and you will be much happier with the results.

Just be careful selecting such a card, which will depend on whether your desktop can accommodate a full or half-size card.

Doc

idata
Employee

Hello Bluehorizon34,

I understand you would like to know if the graphics controller can use more than 1.6GB of video memory.

Let me apologize for any inconvenience this issue may be causing to you.

Intel® HD Graphics 2000 supports up to 1.7GB of video memory so it is not possible to make the graphics controller use more than that. You can confirm that in the following link https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005472.html https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005472.html

If you increase RAM memory to 8GB the graphics controller will keep using up to 1.7GB of video memory.

Let me know if you have or not any other inquiry.

Regards,

Fred D.
idata
Employee

Thanks for your help and extremely quick response times. I think ultimately i'm just gonna abandon the idea of PC gaming and go w the PS4, since even if I got a dedicated video card, Im confident my processor speed is way below the recommended sys requirements for any recently released game.

Next time Ill build a PC on the dell site instead of buying a premade one at the store. Thanks again.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Additional advice - buy one with a nvidia or amd graphics card, even if the processor has graphics.

Doc

0 Kudos