Software Storage Technologies
Virtual RAID, RSTe, and Memory Drive Technology
Announcements
Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

Looking for RAID, VROC? You found the forum to ask questions!
308 Discussions

Cannot boot JBOD from AXXRMS2AF040

srobe7
Novice

I've recently picked up an Intel server with an S5500WB server board and I installed an AXXRMS2AF040 in hopes of using it for HBA pass through, but the only way I can seem to boot from an attached device is if I create a RAID 0 virtual drive. It looks like the setup should support booting from a disk configured as JBOD, but when I do this they don't show up in the BIOS config of the server board.

I've updated the server board and the raid controller with the latest firmware.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Intel Customer Support, in regards to your issue we'll like to have more information about the issue that you're experiencing, like your system Processor, Amount of RAM Installed and Operating system, also, in which way you're creating the RAID; if you're using Intel Rapid Storage Technology Enterprise (Intel RSTe) or if you're using the BIOS options provided by your controller/motherboard.

We'll be waiting for your reply and if you want to add additional details for your case please let us know.

Regards,

Chris.
srobe7
Novice

The sytem has two Xeon X5570 processors and 6Gb of RAM. I've installed Windows 10 Pro on it. I had Windows 7 Pro until today.

I am trying to do the configuration with the BIOS options for the controller and Motherboard. The Intel RAID controller is accessed by CTRL-G during boot.

The system has a Crucial 128Gb SSD as the boot disk. This is currently configured as a RAID 0 virtual drive since I couldn't get the system BIOS to list any of the drives attached to the RAID controller until I created virtual disks. I also have a 2TB Samsung hard drive attached as a JBOD with no virtual drive configured for it and it is accessible to Windows, but doesn't show as a boot option. The system seems to function now that I've created a RAID 0 drive that contains just the SSD, but it seems like it is more complicated than it should be and maybe taking a performance hit to do this.

Thanks for your assistance.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks for the information you've provided us and in regards to your situation, it seems that the issue that you're experiencing it's related to the RAID controller; since this is a forum to support the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology enterprise (Intel® RSTe) software; I'll forward your case and details to our servers team so they can take appropriate care of your situation.

Please remember that if you require more assistance or want to add additional details, we'll be glad to assist you.

Best regards,

Chris.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Steve,

According to http://ark.intel.com/products/54562/Intel-Integrated-Server-RAID-Module-AXXRMS2AF040 Intel® Integrated Server RAID Module AXXRMS2AF040 specifications, the JBOD mode is not a supported feature. Thus, we recommend using RAID 0 as the workaround for this situation.

If you have any more questions, please let me know.

Best regards,

Caesar B_Intel.

0 Kudos
srobe7
Novice

Interesting that JBOD seems to work, but not as a boot device. Thanks for finding this. I don't know how I missed it.

idata
Employee

Hello smrbrts0,

You are welcome.

We hope this answer helps other users in the Intel communities.

Best regards,

Caesar B_Intel.