Items with no label
3335 Discussions

Euclid ros nodes

CMock
Beginner

Hello community,

I'm evaluating the brandnew Euclid system with ros for some days now.

The camera seems to be supported well, but I'm missing nodes for GPS and all other additional sensors.

Normally, I'm able to write own nodes, but I miss detailed informations and specs "how to access" additional sensors.

Suggestions or samples welcome

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Chrimo

0 Kudos
21 Replies
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

This post contains details on accessing the sensors with commands.

0 Kudos
CMock
Beginner

ReHi,

I know this commands, but for building ros nodes it is useless.

Piping output to file or stdout and parse it from program is not very comfortable.

Sorry.

I'd like to find details to access sensors directly from python code to built ros nodes.

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Someone else wanted to access nodes with ROS and were told this:

0 Kudos
CMock
Beginner

ReHi,

I need to access the Euclid hardware sensors directly and I did not need another UI. Euclid has everything I need, but no docs/specs to access hardware sensors in python or C.

FYI: Intel Euclid runs Ubuntu Linux 16.04 native on new Intel hardware and I need access to the new hardware features.

Marketing says:

Environmental sensors including inertial measurement unit, barometric pressure sensor, GPS, and proximity sensor

Audio: Low Power, Dual I2S interface, Speaker 1W Mono

Microphone: D-MIC, X3, Noise Cancellation

GPS: GNS, GLONASS, Beidou, Galileo, QZSS, WAAS, EGNOS

Now my question:

How can I access this sensors directly ?

e.g

I2C addresses of sensors

or any other (for me) unknown port/mem-io

Cheers

Chrimo

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Chrimo,

Thanks for your interest in the Intel Euclid Technology.

I have been looking for the information you need, however, at this moment I haven't found useful information that may help you. I'll continue investigating and I'll contact you back as soon as I have updates.

I'll appreciate your patience during the meantime.

Regards,

-Yermi A.

0 Kudos
CMock
Beginner

Hi Yermi,

Thanks for your response and watch this:

https://discourse.ros.org/t/intel-euclid-irobot-explorer/2569 https://discourse.ros.org/t/intel-euclid-irobot-explorer/2569

Still playing with the amazing Intel Euclid Box @Home and waiting for news from Intel ;-)

Cheers

Chrimo

0 Kudos
Meitav_K_Intel
Employee

Hi Chrimo,

Just wanted to let you know that I'm looking into it.

Although I personally haven't had a chance to work with the GPS, I know one of the other developers had, so I'll try to see if there are any code samples for it.

If not though, I know for a fact that the drivers are there so reading from /sys/class/ will work. I'll find out what that path is.

Regards,

Meitav

Intel Euclid Development Team

0 Kudos
Meitav_K_Intel
Employee

Hi Chrimo,

After further checking, the first solution that MartyG provided is the only one that we have implemented for the GPS at this time.

It's possible to make a ros node to parse the GPS measurements from a file and publish them to a topic, then subscribe to that.

It is mounted on /sys/class/gpio/gpio415/ but I don't think you can read any actual messages there.

Please let me know about the additional sensors you wanted to use, and of course if you have any suggestions etc we'll be happy to hear about it!

Regards,

Meitav

0 Kudos
CMock
Beginner

Hi Meitav,

my Euclid do not have you suggested structures:

euclid@EUCLID_7187:~$ ls /sys/class/gpio/

export gpio398 gpiochip318 gpiochip397 unexport

gpio366 gpiochip224 gpiochip373 gpiochip456

Btw:

GPS can wait, I'm more interested in:

magnet compass,

barometric pressure sensor,

proximity sensor

audio out via internal speaker

microphone input

Thanks for your fast response and greetings from Hamburg/Germany

Cheers

Chrimo

0 Kudos
Meitav_K_Intel
Employee

Hi Chrimo,

First off I apologize for the late reply, I was away for the past few days.

You can export gpio415 by doing this:

chmod 777 /sys/class/gpio/export

echo 415 > /sys/class/gpio/export

chmod 777 /sys/class/gpio/gpio415/*

echo out > /sys/class/gpio/gpio415/direction

Again, I'm not sure if this will have anything that will help you directly get the measurements from the gps, but it won't hurt to check it out.

As for the magnetometer, barometric pressure sensor, proximity sensor - the solution suggested by MartyG earlier (with the sensorhub_client binary) is the only one we have implemented so far. We have had intentions of implementing something more accessible such as a ros node for all of those, but since those haven't been very demanded features, we have it at a lower priority at the moment. I will bring this up though with the rest of the team and hopefully we'll be able to bring its priority up in our development backlog.

For the speakers, you can use it natively, it's registered as an internal speaker, so you can use it much like you would on any other machine. You can try out the different modules suggested in the python wiki: https://wiki.python.org/moin/Audio/ Audio - Python Wiki

Finally for the mic, it should be recognized as a default mic for ubuntu, meaning that you can use any library that streams input from the mic should work for you.

Regards,

Meitav

0 Kudos
CMock
Beginner

Hello Meitav,

I will check GPS usage later this evening, when at home and outside ;-)

During the last days I've tried a lot of new projects with the Euclid device. I'm trying to port all my old robots running at NUCi5/16GB and to new system, but it's hard to mis sensors.

BTW: I found HDMI audio, but it isn't the builtin audio device and speaker/micro. I was not able to make it work and doing some voice recognition or play any sounds ;-(

I try to find out, how do you do it with your nice webui, when starting scenarios...

Thanks for your friendly response and I'm waiting for improvements and new ros nodes. I expect these guys will have the same questions: https://www.clearpathrobotics.com/2017/08/clearpath-robotics-announces-turtlebot-euclid/ Clearpath Robotics Announces TurtleBot Euclid - Clearpath Robotics

Cheers and greetings from Hamburg

Chrimo

0 Kudos
Meitav_K_Intel
Employee

Hi Chrimo,

We had some old demo with the speaker/micro, which was able to comprehend commands like Amazon's home device. I will try and find it.

Personally I haven't had any work with the mic or speaker myself, so I will have to do some digging what I can do with it, and I'll let you know what I find.

We're always open to hear more about features you want and features that are unused, so if there's any sensor you're missing, or isn't working as well as you want, or anything along those lines, feel free to share that with us.

Also, if you got any working projects with Euclid so far, feel free to show them off here at the community forums. Other makers and developers might draw inspiration, which will help making the community grow. We're really interested in seeing the Euclid community grow.

Regards,

Meitav

0 Kudos
CMock
Beginner

Hi Meitav,

I can try to publish my MockTurtleBotE as small project next week with detailed informations.

Intel Euclid + iRobot Roomba 880

Learning by doing project using all parts of ros, especially for beginners.

-adding new source packages from git

-add packages from repository

-first steps with autonomous home robots

-create maps of your home environment

-trying to use new sensors of Euclid ;-)

Cheers

Chrimo

0 Kudos
Meitav_K_Intel
Employee

Nice!

It definitely sounds like something we'd like to see, so if you find an opportunity to show it that would be very neat (both for us at the dev team and for the rest of the community).

I have uploaded tutorials for using Euclid with a turtlebot to run RTABMAP and GMapping, those might come in handy if you need to map your home environment.

Regards,

Meitav

0 Kudos
CMock
Beginner

Hello developers,

I 'm till searching for ros nodes or documentation.

Hey developers, it's XMAS time :-)

Cheers

Chrimo

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Chrimo,

Your requests have been added to the backlog of the Euclid development team. There is no update on when they will be implemented.

Regards,

Jesus G.

Intel Customer Support
0 Kudos
Bolous_A_Intel
Employee

Hello Chrimo,

We have a working solution for publishing the GPS + Sensors (Baro, acc ,...) from Euclid, It still needs some work but i will be happy to share it with you soon.

I will publish the Node + a short tutorial on our website : euclidcommunity.intel.com

Thanks,

Bolous

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Chrimo,

I would like to know if you still need help with case.

Regards,

-Yermi A.

0 Kudos
CMock
Beginner

Hello Yermi,

if you ask: YES, I like to receive working ros nodes for announced sensors or devices in the near future.

Thanks for asking :-)

Cheers

Chrimo

0 Kudos
Meitav_K_Intel
Employee

Hi Chrimo,

I've added your suggestions to our work backlog. I can't guarantee a timeframe for when these features will be available, but we'll keep you posted.

Please continue to let us know if there are any features you'd like to see added to the Intel Euclid, as we're always happy to know what our customers want and need.

Regards,

Meitav

0 Kudos