Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20603 Discussions

Garbage in screen after windows 7 login with HD 3000

JEsca3
Beginner

Hello all

I recently got a HP elitebook 8460p. It has Intel HD 3000 graphics (I5-2520M processor). I updated bios to last version (F.42) and I´m using Windows 7 x64 with latest intel hd drivers (9.17.10.3347).

The problem is that after the login screen in windows 7 a lot of garbage appears in screen, like the resolution isn´t fine, if i change to another resolution the problem dissapear, and if i return to the original resolution also works. Doesn´t usually do twice after you change the resolution.

I recorded a video of the problem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPl-uLuT6ic&feature=em-upload_owner Hp 8460p graphics problem - YouTube

Can be a hardware problem? In linux never experienced this problem, so i don´t know what to do. I tried to rollback bios, but doen´t solve the problem. The hardware check in UEFI by HP seems to be fine.

Sorry for my bad english, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
TNguy91
Beginner

I am using HP Elitebook 8460P and I also have the same problem. Here is my way to solve it:

Right click on Desktop >> Choose Graphics Properties >> Advance Mode >> Hit OK >> Choose Power tab on your left >> On Power Source, choose On battery >> Make sure you choose Balance, deselect Display Refresh Rate Switching and Display Power Saving Technology >> Hit OK and restart the machine to view the result.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 Replies
JEsca3
Beginner

Hello

After a very stupid conversation with HP support (laptop is under warranty), i tried to rollback driver version to 2963 version. Now the problem with resolution is apparently gone (not tested enough), but the screen still do flicks randomly in the login screen... that´s weird...

Can be a hardware related problem?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

I am sorry to hear that have had issues with the graphics on your computer.

This might be a problem with your hardware. One way to know if this is a hardware issue would be connecting an external monitor and check if the screen flickers, if it happens, this means you need to check for warranty option through your computer manufacturer.

Allan.

0 Kudos
NLapi1
Beginner

I had the exact same problem, which can be resolved with either switching all power plan settings to max performance or playing with Intel drivers. At least it looks that the problem is gone.

Btw, to me it occured only when turning computer on while on battery - I never saw the problem while connected to AC.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Thanks for sharing your results and taking the time to post this workaround.

Allan.

0 Kudos
AAlex32
Beginner

Hello, I'm experiencing the exact same issue. I'm running a Dell Inspiron N7110 17R for about 1.5 years now and it just happened after i updated the Intel HD Graphics 3000 2 days ago to version 9.17.10.3517 . I had not experienced this issue with any other pc on graphics update before.

CPU : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz (8 CPUs),~2.0GHz

thanks for your time in advance.

0 Kudos
JEsca3
Beginner

Hello again!

After upgrade the intel ME firmware for elitebook 8460p (found on the HP support site) the problem seems solved for 3 months. But recently it started again, i just formatted my system with Windows 7 Ultimate 64bits and after install all windows updates (didn´t install any other drivers) I installed the last HD3000 driver (win64_152822 9.17.10.3517) and during the install of the drivers the problem appeared again.

I found out that using driver version 2963 the problem wasn´t present, but that driver is very old. I´m gonna play with power settings as jujubokar mentioned and i´ll keep you posted, but i would love a workaround for this problem in the next driver release. Can I post some diagnostic information that can help to solve this problem? In linux isn´t present at all.

Thank

0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

Hi All,

When you updated the Intel HD Graphics driver and started to see the issue, did you use the generic driver from Intel Download Center or the OEM provided driver (HP, Dell) specific to your system?

If you started seeing the issue after installing the generic driver it is because forcing the generic driver install will remove any OEM customizations made to the OEM driver specific to your system. That is why you must proceed with caution when using the generic driver as there may be unintended consequences in using it such as the issues you are seeing. With laptop systems particularly, the OEM's may make many changes to the way the graphics driver functions to be compatible with the type of display panel installed in the system and the type of hardware driving it. If the OEM driver is working, use it, don't use the generic driver. If there is a feature or fix in the generic driver that the OEM driver does not have, petition the OEM to update the driver specific to your system.

Thanks

Robert

0 Kudos
JEsca3
Beginner

Hello again!

Thanks for your reply Robert! I really appreciate it.

I tried with both drivers, generic and OEM specific for my model. I installed a fresh Windows 7 Ultimate with all security updates, and before install any other drivers or specific sofware i made a image of entire disk. After failing with generic latest driver (3517) i restored the image and install latest OEM specific drivers (3347 link below), and after wake up several times from sleep (without AC plugged) the issue still present. Every firmware from other components and bios is up to date.

I don´t know if i must open an RMA and return the laptop, but i know that this is coming from software drivers, in Linux never happens and i use it a lot.

For reference, those are the files modified by OEM:

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/HckczOy.jpg[/IMG] http://i.imgur.com/HckczOy.jpg[/IMG]

Link to OEM drivers:

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/psi/swdHome/?sp4ts.oid=5056947&spf_p.tpst=swdMain&spf_p.prp_swdMain=wsrp-navigationalState%3DswEnvOID%253D4061%257CswLang%253D%257Caction%253DlistDriver&javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken Drivers & software for HP EliteBook 8460p Notebook PC - HP Support Center

0 Kudos
JEsca3
Beginner

Hi there!

I have an update for my problem. Yesterday a HP it guy was at my house, and he changed the mainboard of the system and the CPU. After that, the problem still present, with latest intel drivers (3517) and latest HP drivers (3347) (both installed on a formatted system). The only thing that isn´t replaced is the LCD panel, but they refused to change it because they say that must be a software problem. The thing is that in linux that issue never happens, so i think that the problem is with windows driver. I tried to adjust energy settings as other users told, but in my case the problem is still present.

Is there any way to open a bug report of this problem?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
GLane3
Beginner

Hi

I know its simple but I found this topic when I had a problem that seems the same. I solved the issue after a tip from my dealer:

This is feature I have found on HP machines that comes from an Intel auto power saving technique.

All you have to do is go to Graphic Properties > Advanced Mode click ok then in Intel@Graphic and Media Control Panel click on Power then in the power source (top right) drop down box change power Source from Plugged in to On battery and disable display Refresh Rate Switching then apply and ok. In order to go to graphic properties press right touch pad button on the desktop then from that menu choose Graphic Properties.

Hope this helps

jburk5
Beginner

Thanks you. Although mine is a black screen after updating, it seems it's an update for windows 7 itself that's causing an issue.

Judge, after this step, are you able to do all updates, intel driver updates, etc. just fine?

0 Kudos
jburk5
Beginner

Well, after these steps, I did 32 more 'security' updates on 7 for the client. Same thing, came back to a black screen.

I can get into safemode.. Have to figure out what security update is doing this.
0 Kudos
PWall2
Beginner

I have this same issue with my Elitebook 8460p (Core i7 with Intel HD 3000).

As stated in this thread and according to my brief testing the root cause for this problem seems to be Intel driver's "Display Refresh Rate Switching". Every boot on battery when 'Display Refresh Rate Switching' is enabled will cause the corrupted graphics screen. Sometimes it solves itself in a minute or so and sometimes I need to lower resolution and then change it back or just change the display refresh rate to solve it. I haven't tried driver version 2963 and don't really see any need for that if disabling these 'Power Conservation Features' are enough.

A lot of people seem to be complaining about the 'Display Refresh Rate Switching' even when it's working as intended!

0 Kudos
TNguy91
Beginner

I am using HP Elitebook 8460P and I also have the same problem. Here is my way to solve it:

Right click on Desktop >> Choose Graphics Properties >> Advance Mode >> Hit OK >> Choose Power tab on your left >> On Power Source, choose On battery >> Make sure you choose Balance, deselect Display Refresh Rate Switching and Display Power Saving Technology >> Hit OK and restart the machine to view the result.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
JEsca3
Beginner

Hi there

Thank you walpek and hoangtrung1994, seems that the problem resides in "Display Refresh Rate Switching", because if I disable it, it seems to work properly (I'm running without problems since this morning). Thank you for the tip.

Running latest Intel HD 3000 driver: 9.17.10.4229

0 Kudos