Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

igdkmd64.sys DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL BSOD (Win 8.1 64), updating my driver?

BSmit27
Beginner

The short problem:

In order to avoid the BSOD regarding "igdkmd64.sys" and what is displayed in the title, I attempted to update my Intel HD Graphics 4000 driver to the most recent update (10.18.10.3345). I did this yesterday, using a zip file. As a matter of fact, the overall procedure I used is http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/12156/how-to-forcibly-update-your-intel-drivers-at-your-own-risk described pretty well here. Many have claimed that this BSOD issue was solved by this update, and I was hoping for the same thing... Something odd happened a couple of minutes ago. My computer, without me putting any setting or function, essentially updated the graphics driver to the one I previously had, the one that is allegedly responsible for my BSODs. I didn't put any function, I was browsing the internet and all of a sudden I noticed the driver was updating/changing. Why is this happening and how can I stop it so that I can use the most recently updated driver?

The long problem:

My ASUS KC46 laptop was purchased in November of 2012. One of the first things I did was install the well known game "League of Legends," and I was able to use it pretty smoothly. This laptop had Windows 8.

I downloaded the windows 8.1 update in November of 2013. I'm not really good with computers, I was updating for the sake of updating it. Shortly after I updated it, upon playing games of League of Legends (and if I was using other software like google chrome or spotify whilst playing league), I began seeing messages regarding low memory. I never had gotten them before, and I assumed maybe League had a bad patch. But these messages didn't really go away.

The # of games changed, but eventually, I would get a BSOD that stated... well in short, everything in the title. I, again, am not much with computers. I was hoping an update would eventually come along. But it is now (nearly) the start of February. Last week I began to become frantic about trying to solve this issue. I started looking up other forums and it seemed I was not alone on this issue. Many people, often gamers, were experiencing the same BSOD issue.

I started seeing multiple forums in which people were claiming a couple of things.

- Nearly every forum stated there was an issue regarding Intel HD Graphics 4000 drivers

- Multiple people claimed that updating these drivers was a solution, or working for them. Others at least claimed that it would be good to do so.

So I started looking to do that. Unfortunately (and I was not alone in this), my computer would not casually let me do this. A simple updating style would result in a message claiming the update was invalid (i can't remember for sure), or that my drivers were already to date. After searching for some tutorials, I finally found information on how to apply the recent update from a zip file...

So 4 days ago, I did this. I updated my driver to a recent update that was supposed to solve this BSoD issue.

Yesterday, something weird happened. To my disgust, whilst playing League of Legends, a BSoD occurred with the igdkmd64.sys error. I was confused and upset because I believed I updated my drivers and had no idea of an alternative solution rather than just waiting for a widespread update to solve this problem

Weird thing was, I used device manager to check my drivers... They were labelled as the previous driver I updated from. (10.18.10.3308). I had no idea how this happened or when it could have happened. I again updated my drivers to the recent updated version, hoping the problem would be solved once and for all.

Well I was using my computer casually today, browsing the internet, and then... without me putting any function or running device manager, my drivers updated. I could tell by the brief flash of my screen and brief irresponsiveness of applications. I quickly checked device manager... My driver, again, was labelled as the previous driver (3308), as if I never updated them yesterday.

I intend to try again tonight, especially because I want to play league tonight... but I'm am incredibly confused... why is my driver constantly switching back to its previous version despite my updates?

I am aware of a procedure involving me uninstalling my incompatible drivers (3308), then booting up my laptop in safe mode and updating to the recent version (3345). The only reason why I have yet do this is because... I am terrible with computers. I'm afraid of something going wrong in that process because I won't know how to fix it immediately (most likely) and I am not interested in spending money.

I really don't want these BSoDs to keep occurring.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

I am sorry to hear that you have had isses with your Intel Graphics.

I know that some computer manufacturers do not allow the installation of generic Intel video drives. You are required to install drivers from your computer manufacturer. This is the reason of the driver switching back to an earlier version.

In fact, this blue screen issue was fixed with video driver updates. You may try to force the installation of the driver by performing manual procedure, this will change windows registry and perhaps the driver will keep newer version:

I know you have tried that previously but you could try again:

http://support.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-022355.htm http://support.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-022355.htm

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Graphics&ProductLine=Laptop+graphics+drivers&ProductProduct=3rd+Generation+Intel%C2%AE+Core%E2%84%A2+Processors+with+Intel%C2%AE+HD+Graphics+4000&ProdId=3712&LineId=1101&FamilyId=39 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Graphics&ProductLine=Laptop+graphics+drivers&ProductProduct=3rd+Generation+Intel%C2%AE+Core%E2%84%A2+Processors+with+Intel%C2%AE+HD+Graphics+4000&ProdId=3712&LineId=1101&FamilyId=39

The driver you will need is the zip version, go here to download appropriate drivers for your operating system version and install the driver when it finishes downloading, to verify that your system will accept it.

Allan.

0 Kudos
BSmit27
Beginner

Ok. I am now referring to the ASUS website and I am downloading their most recent recommended driver for my computer (it's likely the one I had already been trying to download from other sources).

I just installed the recommended ASUS driver from a zip folder. I'm about to reboot my computer. However, I am seeing that the recommended driver from ASUS is labelled 10.18.10.3308.02. That might be the very same driver that was giving me BSoDs. But I am going to play league of legends soon, thus I will see then.

I will immediately come back here with information on what has happened.

0 Kudos
BSmit27
Beginner

Well, contrary to what I was intending...

I have only played 2 games of league in the past 3 or so days. No blue screens have occurred...yet.

0 Kudos
BSmit27
Beginner
0 Kudos