Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14547 Discussions

CPU Speed

JJohn50
Beginner

i7-6700K will not run faster than 800 MHz. Could be CPU; could be ASUS Z170 PRO Gaming MB. How do I find the problem?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I would check your BIOS' configuration for the processor; it is the likely culprit...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

The processor is rarely the problem. Running at 800MHz is the normal speed when the CPU power saving options are enabled (Speed Step, C1E, and other C States), when the CPU is idle, low load situation.

Did you try clearing the BIOS/UEFI? You could also try loading the BIOS/UEFI default settings, you should have an option in the UEFI to do that.

What are you using to monitor the CPU's speed? Do you see this CPU speed in the OS? What is the CPU's speed when you are in the UEFI/BIOS UI?

If your CPU cooler is not mounted correctly, the CPU may be thermal throttling itself. Are you monitoring the CPU temperature?

Some boards have options in the UEFI/BIOS to limit the CPU's speed, and also may have a physical switch on the board itself that limits the CPU's speed. Few boards have the physical switch to limit the CPU's speed, but that is worth checking.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, All:

Thank you for all your feedback.

JohnME, please try the suggestions mentioned above and let us know if they helped you.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, JohnME:

Did the suggestions above work? Were you able to resolve this?

Let me know your findings.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos