Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2047 Discussions

Rapid Storage Technology only shows one of my two arrays

idata
Employee

Matrix Storage Manager was only showing one of my two arrays (ARRAY_0000), so I tried updading to Rapid Storage Technology. RST still only shows one of my two arrays (ARRAY_0001) is missing. When I hit CTRL-I during boot to enter the bios, both arrays are shown, and Windows shows both drives and lets me access them... but RST insists on only showing one.

To confuse matters even more, the system report in the RST console shows both physical arrays but only one logical array. Yes, the 2nd drive in the ARRAY_0001 is marked as bad for the second time in two months (I just replaced the drive and rebuilt the array three weeks ago).

System Report

System Information

OS name: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

OS version: 6.1.7600 7600

System manufacturer: Dell Inc.

System model: Precision WorkStation T5500

Processor: GenuineIntel Intel64 Family 6 Model 44 Stepping 2 3.325 GHz

Processor: GenuineIntel Intel64 Family 6 Model 44 Stepping 2 3.325 GHz

BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A05, DELL - 15

Intel® Rapid Storage Technology

Kit installed: 9.6.0.1014

User interface version: 9.6.0.1014

Language: English (United States)

Intel RAID controller: Intel(R) ICH8R/ICH9R/ICH10R/DO/5 Series/3400 Series SATA RAID Controller

Number of SATA ports: 6

RAID option ROM version: 8.5.2.1002

Driver version: 9.6.0.1014

ISDI version: 9.6.0.1014

Device Information

Name: Array_0000

Size: 1,430 GB

Available space: 0 GB

Disk data cache: Enabled

Number of volumes: 1

Volume member: ARRAY0

Number of disks: 2

Array disk: xxxxxxxx

Name: Array_0001

Type: RAID 1

Size: 954 GB

Data strip size: 64 KB

Write-back cache: Disabled

System volume: No

Initialized: Yes

Verification errors found: 0

Blocks with media errors: 0

Physical sector size: 512 Bytes

Logical sector size: 512 Bytes

Parent array: Unknown

Array disk: WD-WMATxxxxxxxx

Array disk: WD-WMATxxxxxxxx

Name: ARRAY0

Type: RAID 1

Size: 715 GB

Data strip size: 64 KB

Write-back cache: Disabled

System volume: Yes

Initialized: Yes

Verification errors found: 73

Blocks with media errors: 0

Parent array: Array_0000

Disk on port 0

Port location: Internal

Usage: Array disk

Size: 715 GB

Serial number: xxxxxxxx

Model: ST3750528AS

Firmware: CC45

System disk: No

Password protected: No

Disk data cache: Enabled

Native command queuing: Yes

SATA transfer mode: Generation 2

<span style="font...

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

shaunc,

It appears that you're running into a naming conflict between the auto-generated array names (Array_0000 and Array_0001) and the name you chose for one of your volumes (Array_0001). To fix yur issue, we will need to rename the *volume* that currently is named Array_0001. That's made more difficult because the volume is not currently showing up in the user interface.

First (and this is optional) I'd recommend renaming your ARRAY0 volume to VOLUME0, just to be clear on what is a volume and what is an array. (With this driver, an array is a collection of disks. An array can contain either one or two volumes. It's a subtle distinction, and for the most part you can ignore it if you want to.)

Second, you'll need to shut down your computer. Right now you have your 715GB disks on ports 0 and 1, and your 954GB disks on ports 3 and 4. Switch this around so that your 715GB disks are on ports 3 and 4 while your 954GB disks are on ports 0 and 1. Doing this will change which array is identified first. When you boot back into Windows, you'll see that VOLUME0 (or ARRAY0 if you didn't rename it) is no longer visible, but your volume named ARRAY_0001 is visible.

Lastly, rename the volume ARRAY_0001 to something else (such as VOLUME_0001). Immediately, the missing array should show up and your problem should be fixed.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

I almost forgot to mention. The tray icon for RST seems to be aware of the 2nd array, as it shows the yellow exclamation mark and I get a balloon tip at boot that says the array is degraded... and the main UI is also aware of the degraded state, it just refuses to show the array.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

shaunc,

It appears that you're running into a naming conflict between the auto-generated array names (Array_0000 and Array_0001) and the name you chose for one of your volumes (Array_0001). To fix yur issue, we will need to rename the *volume* that currently is named Array_0001. That's made more difficult because the volume is not currently showing up in the user interface.

First (and this is optional) I'd recommend renaming your ARRAY0 volume to VOLUME0, just to be clear on what is a volume and what is an array. (With this driver, an array is a collection of disks. An array can contain either one or two volumes. It's a subtle distinction, and for the most part you can ignore it if you want to.)

Second, you'll need to shut down your computer. Right now you have your 715GB disks on ports 0 and 1, and your 954GB disks on ports 3 and 4. Switch this around so that your 715GB disks are on ports 3 and 4 while your 954GB disks are on ports 0 and 1. Doing this will change which array is identified first. When you boot back into Windows, you'll see that VOLUME0 (or ARRAY0 if you didn't rename it) is no longer visible, but your volume named ARRAY_0001 is visible.

Lastly, rename the volume ARRAY_0001 to something else (such as VOLUME_0001). Immediately, the missing array should show up and your problem should be fixed.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Mike -

You rock! Your answer was dead on.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Just in case its more simple try changing SATA & power cables on your drives.

0 Kudos