Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14550 Discussions

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad Cpu Q8300 @ 2.50GHz Does it Do HW Virtualization

idata
Employee

How can I tell if this CPU is capable of running Hardware Virtualization. It is in a Dell Studio 540s with 6gb of memory and a 1tb hard drive. The BIOS doesn't have an option to turn it on that I can see. Dell was very vague about it. I need to run vmware with some 64bit virtual machines inside and I'm coming to the conclusion this won't work. It seems odd to me that such a powerful machine wouldn't have this feature. Does anybody know if there might be a hidden option somewhere? Thanks

0 Kudos
8 Replies
idata
Employee

http://ark.intel.com/VTList.aspx http://ark.intel.com/VTList.aspx

here you can find all CPUs which support Virtualization.

regards

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks for the info bloodwurst. It says spec code SLGUR does and SLBSW does not. Any idea where the spec code may be and can I see it without dismantling the machine?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

as far as i know, it should be marked on the CPU itself. so if you can´t readout the specifications with software, you have to dismantle your CPU cooler.

0 Kudos
HERBERT_H_Intel
Employee
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks for the link oj. That answered the question, my computer doesn't support hardware virtualization. That is very bad news for me.

0 Kudos
HERBERT_H_Intel
Employee

no problem. could you mark the question as answered so that its easier for other with similar question to find the answer?

OJ

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

The S-Spec for the chip is printed on the box if you bought a retail processor.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I am posting this reply within Virtual XP Mode in Widows 7 Pro (64bit) from a Novatech ISYS Ex (PC-1386) which has an Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 processor. The Novatech website says Virtualization NO but the BIOS says it was enabled so I downloaded Virtual PC from Microsoft and it installed and runs OK. Seems there is a lot of confusion about this processor and what it can and cannot do.

0 Kudos