Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14539 Discussions

Processor Vcc voltage low

idata
Employee

I have a i7-870 processor in my Intel DP55KG motherboard. I have the multiplier set to turbo in the BIOS and the processor is showing 3.60 GHz. I have gotten several warning about the processor Vcc voltage being low as reported by the Intel desktop utilities. One time the system crashed to a blue screen and said it was shutting down to prevent damage to the processor, Is this something that is caused by the turbo mode? Will this damage the processor or should I ignore the warnings?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

Refer to the help section of Intel Desktop Utilities under Troubleshooting Tips - "[Voltage] is out of its recommended range" to know the possible effects.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks for the input. I read that section and my power supply is brand new. The only time I got that warning is when I launched CPUID. It doesn't pop up unless I run CPUID. I think there is some setting in the BIOS for CPU voltage at idle, I'll check that, seems to me that was set at "low". That may explain why the voltage seems low when nothing is running in the background. Not sure about CPUID, I deleted it and have not had a warning message pop up again.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

If you try reading the readme file of Intel Desktop Utilities (its in the download website), among the issues listed there (issue # 8) is the conflict of other monitoring programs and CPUID specifically is mentioned. So, that is the reason for the slight abnormal operation of your system. As what you have already observed upon removal of CPUID you no longer get the undesirable condition. Seldom or not at all that the voltage settings of the processor in the bios are being change by the user.

0 Kudos