Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14536 Discussions

CPU Overheating

idata
Employee

My Intel Pentium 4 3.0 GHZ Processor (SL7PU) mounted on an Intel D945 GNT motherboard is running excessively hot. At a room temperature of 18 degrees Celsius idling the temperature is over 50 degrees Celsius. Underload e.g. virus scanner running the temperature runs 63 to 65 degrees Celcius. Motherboard has the latest bios released in November 2009.

My understanding the maximum operating temperature for the processor is 67.6 degrees celsius. I also undderstand fron Intel publications on line that bios updates on my motherboard control the CPU fan speed with the CPU fan idled down until the temperature of the CPU reaches 75 degrees Cesius.

Searching Intel publications on line suggest that there is a setting in the bios under Advanced that allows altering the Fan Control Configuration. When searching in the bios under Advanced I could not find a setting to change the Fan Control Configuration.

My case and heatsink are clean with no dirt or dust that would impair the efficency of the cooler on the CPU.

When the computer is first started the CPU fan appears to run at maximum RPM speed. Within a few seconds it drops dramatically and spins at about 550 RPM.

Any help or suggestions to allow me to increase the fan speed on the CPU to help cool the processor appreciated

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

I have a D945 GCNL motherboard. You have settings in BIOS to control the Fan speed. In BIOS under Advanced --> Boot Configuration, You have some thing called CPU Fan control and Sytem Fan control. Disable both and your System as well as CPU fan will be running almost their maximum speeds. You can use the Speedfan utility to check the Fan speeds in Windows. Hopes this helps you a bit.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

I have a D945 GCNL motherboard. You have settings in BIOS to control the Fan speed. In BIOS under Advanced --> Boot Configuration, You have some thing called CPU Fan control and Sytem Fan control. Disable both and your System as well as CPU fan will be running almost their maximum speeds. You can use the Speedfan utility to check the Fan speeds in Windows. Hopes this helps you a bit.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

francisxavier.p,

Thank you so much. Changed settings in bios as you advised and my CPU temperature dropped while idling about 13 degrees celsius. Now running at 37 degrees celcius.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

You can check your Fan speeds as well in BIOS in Hardware monitoring.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I had problems in the past similar, I was told to remove the CPU from the HeatsinkFan and wipe all the old Heat transfer past off the CPU and heat sink of the fan, Put new Good quality paste and put a surgical glove on (from supermarkets) (Also good to use in the garden or car from getting your hands dirty) smear the compound thinly over the cpu then attech the Heat sink, carefull not to put too much as it gets flattened, It will reduse your CPU temperature. The reason for this, as time goes on the paste dries out and needs to be replaced. Those that don't know, have their CPU overheat and damage the M/b and they are up for a new computer, Regards George, I hope this helps you.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

gdvideo,

Thank you for your response.The issue of dried up CPU paste did not apply to me as the CPU was very recently installed with a thin layer of CPU paste. I agree overheating can occur from the situation you described in your post.

0 Kudos