Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20629 Discussions

Intel HD Graphics Driver doesn't support EDID overrides (overscan problems)

idata
Employee

The topic title pretty much sums it up... Many monitors don't provide the correct EDID information to the display adapter and so the image appears shifted, under/overscanned and frequently with incorrect colors.

Microsoft has provided the option to create a custom .inf driver and specify the EDID_OVERRIDE key in the registry. As such the problem can be solved by providing your own EDID. This fix works well both for AMD and NVIDIA cards because it solves the problem on the monitor driver level.

But this is not true for Intel HD Graphics. No matter how hard I tried the Intel Driver refuses to accept the EDID_OVERRIDE of the monitor driver and insists on recognizing the display as "Digital Television" and not a simple monitor. As such the image appears distorted/shifted and greenish. The monitor is LG L245WPM and works both with AMD and NVIDIA graphics as well.

My questions are:

1) Why Intel still hasn't addressed this problem

2) Why the Intel driver ignores the overriden EDID for the monitor driver

3) Is there any plan to include such a fix in a future driver or can it be addressed by a registry tweak that escapes me?

Thanks

1 Solution
Bryce__Intel
Employee

Please refer to for all future progress on this topic.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

Hi John

What chipset are you using? What driver version?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Robert. I'm using an Asrock Pro3-M Motherboard (Intel Z68 chipset) with a 2500K (Intel HD 3000) and latest version of Intel Drivers for Windows 7 64-bit (15.26.8.64.2696)

0 Kudos
RMitr1
New Contributor I

This question has been asked by many many time (e.g. over a year ago). Intel has chosen to ignore it.

/thread/25904 http://communities.intel.com/thread/25904

0 Kudos
MHirs1
Novice

It seems this is now possible in the linux driver, but still not working in Windows. I've tried two possible ways of doing this and neither one seems to work. One is to specify a custom resolution in the intel graphics control panel, and the other is to create an edid override in the windows registry. Neither one is working for me. The control panel always gives a message about "bandwith exceeded" when this is clearly not the case, and the intel driver seems to ignore the edid_override in the registry. In linux I just specify the modeline I want to xorg.conf or xrandr and this same hardware does exactly what I want. There's no way to do it in windows as far as I can tell.

idata
Employee

This is exactly what I am seeing with mine. Every other manufacture lets you do this with their drivers. Can Intel please open this up with their drivers and allow customers to specify their own setting? Thanks!

Bryce__Intel
Employee

Please refer to for all future progress on this topic.

0 Kudos