Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14402 Discussions

Pentium III upgrade

idata
Employee

Upgrade pentium III 500 ACPI x86 family 6 model 7, what P III around 1 to 1.4 ghz can I use

0 Kudos
7 Replies
idata
Employee

Three thing come to mind.

1. finding P3 cpu's

2. what motherboard do you have

3. finding info about that motherboard.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee
Computer Brand Name:Gateway GP7-500 [Motherboard]Motherboard Model:Intel WS440BXMotherboard Chipset:Intel 82440BX/ZX AGPset (Seattle) + PIIX4EMotherboard Slots:1xISA, 5xPCI, 1xAGP v1.0 [BIOS]BIOS Manufacturer:Phoenix TechnologiesBIOS Date:11/04/99BIOS Version:4W4SB0X0.15A.0019.P14
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Can't find your Motherboard so for all I know its got the fastest CPU it can have.

That thing should be in a museum...a second hand PC would be a better way to go then upgrading that thing.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I'll second that advice. I'm currently running a 500 MHz Pentium III 'Katmai' as my primary desktop computer, so I'm due for an upgrade too. US$ 300 +ehft will buy me a basic, yet adequate (for many people) Celeron 420 box complete with an 18" LCD.

If you're determined to upgrade your Pentium III machine, you should try to find out whether the chipset and mainboard support Tualatin, which were probably the nicest Pentium III chips.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I had thought if it was quick and easy might be ok. But !!!!! I found and outfit in Texas that ships refurbs with warranty real cheap. You might want to look at em. I just bought one. My contact is Jeremy Petty [jeremy@1hcdi.com] http://www.hcditrading.com http://www.hcditrading.com

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I guess we can close this thread. Answered.

Thanks All

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Has it been answered? It looks as though the OP just purchased a newer pc to replace the old gateway. The answer is, the fastest proc that the Tabor II supports will be the Tualatin Celeron 1400. I had one of these until earlier this year when I donated it to a neighbor's kid. Had a 550MHz Katamia in stock condition but I successfully upgraded to the Celeron 1400 with help of a Powerleap Slocket adaptor around 2002. The machine still can keep up with anything besides the newest 3d games. I hope to keep it alive for many more years (I think the mtbf was something around 15years so should be plenty of time left)

0 Kudos