Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

I7 920 IMC problem or 100% MOBO problem?

idata
Employee

First of all, hello everyone. I joined this board hoping to find an answer to my question. Is it my motherboard or my I7 IMC has gone haywire? So here goes, sorry for the lenghty post.

1. This picture shows my PC, with 3 G-SKILL RAM Sticks populating the tri-channel slots.

2. The following picture shows how much memory my BIOS actually detects :

As one can see, I have 2 GB missing. So, I started the troubleshooting process. I said its the RAM stick. It broke last night in MEMTEST.

1. Used all sticks in that slot, no go.

2. Used all sticks in the 2nd slot, everything works fine.

3. Used all sticks in the 3rd slot, everything works fine.

4. Used all sticks in the 4th slot, everything works fine.

When I use slots 1, 3, 4 I have 4GB RAM, when I use slots 2,3,4 I have 6GB or RAM. Obviously something happened with this memory channel. Because UD3R does not have memory re-mapping in its BIOS, as an option, but it fully supports it, without it I could not use the computer 2 months with 6GB in tri-channel mode, the explanation is that the mobo broke.

What windows 7 reports when I use 1,3,4.

I spent all night lont trying to fix this problem. Some new info and data for you to digest.

1. Let's confirm one more time that I am using the tri-channel slots and not the dual channel ones. So there you have it, 1, 3, 4

So yeah, everything is fine, I got the right slots. Lets look now at something. This was earlier in the day. Since then, I've taken out the battery 20 times, I've reset the jumper, I flashed the thing back and forth, am using the latest BETA BIOS for my REV 1.6 called FD4.

This was earlier in the day :

This is NOW

...and crikey, still off by 2 GB

So there you have it folks, my motherboard recognises the RAM stick, but it can't add it to the other 4GB in tri-channel mode. Talk about unlucky.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
idata
Employee

1. Let's confirm one more time that I am using the tri-channel slots and not the dual channel ones. So there you have it, 1, 3, 4

The slots in order away from the CPU are 1, 3, 2 than 4 so for 3 channel mode you need to use slots 1, 2 and 4 as it is in your pics.

You might if got the numbers but if you say you can't get the system to boot in slot 1 then their a problem, its hard to say if its the board or CPU but its likely board.

If you have ram in slots 1 and 4 or 1 and 3 you should get 4GB not 2GB

0 Kudos