Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4778 Discussions

Does the AXX6DRV3G work with just power and SATA connected?

idata
Employee

For a little hobby project at home, I am hoping to use the AXX6DRV3G passive drive cage, but I was wondering if it would work at all without the management busses connected. I don't see why anything except power & SATA connections would be mandatory, but it could be designed that way.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

IPMB cable is for updating the hot-swap controller firmware, reading the temperature, and detecting drive presence. Fault LED control cable (SES or SGPIO, depends on the board/RAID care you're using) is for drive identification and drive fault/rebuild indication with amber drive LEDs.Please refer to http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/CS-025354.htm Pedestal systems backplane and RAID controller cabling guide for more details

So if you don't connect these cables the functions mentioned above won't be availabe, but data transfer should be OK.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I figured out what each cable was for already, I just want to be absolutely sure that the cage doesn't have something built in that goes "Sorry, no management, no worky." So while I agree that it _should_ be OK, I would love to hear from someone that knows for sure it's OK.

0 Kudos
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

There is no built in "no management, no worky" thing. In my system it works with only power and SATA cables connected.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee
0 Kudos