Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

SS4000-E - can't access backups

idata
Employee

I bought one of these and added it to my home net work about 6 months ago. I'm using 4 1tb drives at raid 10. I completed and viewed 2 (business and personal) backups on the NAS from my DELL XP Desktop PC. I also have an XP notebook on the network. Later on the DELL PC died (it was pretty old) and it was no longer usable. I bough a new win7 desktop and notebook. With the win7 devices I can see the public and shared folders on the NAS, but I can't get to the backups. I tried to get to the backups with the old XP notebook - changed computer name to the dead desktop's name. But, I can't access the backups. How do I restore files from the backups now? Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
idata
Employee

john,

The http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/ss4000-e/sb/CS-022215.htm SS4000 User Guide explains the system backup and restore capabilities.

Regards, John

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have read the manual but didn't see how to restore files IF I don't have the original PC and disk that was protected and backed up. I can't see the backup on my old XP notebook or my win7 PC/notebook. Would you be able to point to an a specific area in the manual? TY

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

john,

Are you using the SS4000 Client Backup and Recovery utility? If so, you can restore your backup, using the Recovery CD, to any machine. You can backup "Client A" and use the Recovery CD to restore to "Client B". Recovery has a password but is not tied to the MAC or other hardware information.

Are you using the Recovery CD to access the SS4000 and your "backups"?

John

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. I was able to borrow an xp desktop PC and boot the recovery cd on that machine which also had a new 1.5TB disk drive. I was succesful in recovering the 2 backups. I need only to get to the shared folder documents I sent to the NAS from my old dead xp pc. Is there anyway to get to those files? They aren't in the backups. TY!!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

john,

Did you just copy the shared folder documents to the SS4000? If so, did you copy them to a user folder on the SS4000? Is that user folder password protected for the user?

If not, how did you put the shared folder documents on the SS4000?

John

0 Kudos
idata
Employee
I'm pretty sure I copied a folder with a large amount of files under my user id to the ss4000. I doubt I password protected them. I just copied them over as a user. About 80MB, but important. TY!J
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

john,

I'm talking about copying the files to a user folder on the SS4000. When you create a user folder on the SS4000 you need to provide a user name and password for the folder. Then to access the folder you map a drive (the SS4000) from your computer. Usually in the form of:

\\\ or something like \\192.168.0.101\john

Then when you continue, you'll be prompted for the user name and password to log on to the shared folder.

If you simply copied your files to the public folder you can map a drive to \\\Public or something like \\192.168.0.101\Public

Then when you continue, you'll be prompted for the user name and password here too, but you can use user name: guest and password: guest

If you copied your files to a user folder and can't remember the details, you can log on to the SS4000 Storage Manager as admin and view users and change the password if needed. The default admin credentials are user name: admin and password: storage.

You access the SS4000 Storage Manager with a browser and point to / http:///. Connecting may give you a certificate error on connection, you can ignore this and continue.

If you've changed and forgotten the admin password you can reset the SS4000 to system defaults which resets the admin password to storage. It also resets the SS4000 NIC port IP addresses to port 1: 192.168.0.101 and port 2: 192.168.1.101. Resetting the SS4000 will reset to system defaults and reboot the system. It doesn't do anything to existing users, user folders or data on the system.

See the http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/ss4000-e/sb/CS-022215.htm SS4000 User Guide for information on performing a reset.

John

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

It was 6 plus months ago so I don't remember what I did. I guess I created a user folder and copied files to that folder. I can get to the folders but they are empty. I think I removed the user when I got a new PC. Would that delete any of the use files on the NAS? TY for your help.............

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

john,

When a user is created on the SS4000, an equivalent user folder is created. This is the folder that's password protected for the user created I refer to above. When you remove a user the user folder and all files contained there are removed too.

As noted the folder is deleted with the removal of the user. So you couldn't get to the user folder after removing the user. It's not there any more.

Creating a shared folder is different than creating a user and the user folder that accompanies that. A shared folder isn't tied to any specific user. You can assign user access to created shared folders, but that's simply giving a user permission to access the folder. Deleting a user that has access to a shared folder does not delete the shared folder. By default all created shared folders have the guest account access.

It's almost impossible to tell what happened to the data under the folders you're talking about.

John

0 Kudos