Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14510 Discussions

[Help] Weird sound came out from my desktop

idata
Employee

Hi, everyone.

I'm here to ask for help from anyone regarding my desktop problem. Just call me Claire or whatever you want. I'm fine for any name.

I would like to write the situations how that sound came out.

The first thing is whenever I just turn on my desktop and conduct a test by stressing my CPU, FPU, Cache, Memory System, and Local Disks using AIDA64 program, the sound will come out. So, to find out which part of my desktop is having this problem, I stress each of them one by one and I found only FPU showed me a very quick response in making the sound comes out. For you information, the temperature of my CPU is near to 60 degree Celcius if I just turn it on.

The second thing is after I put my desktop into sleep mode and wake it up, the temperature will drops dramatically in around 30 degree Celcius. This temperature will remain like a normal PC although I on my PC for a long time, run a high requirements game for long time or do multi-tasking. To avoid that sound, everytime just after I turn on my PC, I will put it into sleep mode and wake it up instantly.

I've searched a lot of web pages and find no solution to this problem. I saw there are some people saying this problem could be related to my ACPI, I'm not sure about it by the way.

I'm really appreciate if anyone could help by suggestions or recommends me to do or get something in order to solve this problem.

Thanks a lot.

Regards,

Claire.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Adolfo_S_Intel2
Employee

In order to better assist you can you please let me know the exact processor model number that you have, as well as the motherboard brand / model?

I would suggest installing the latest BIOS version for your motherboard and also test your processor on a 2nd known working and compatible motherboard to see if it causes the same behavior, that way you can discard or confirm the processor as the device causing the issue.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I provide the full specs of my PC which I used AIDA64 program to scan. Here:

CPU type: QuadCore Intel Core 2 QUad Q6600, 2448 Mhz (9 x 272)

Motherboard name: Abit IP35 Pro XE

System memory: 4096 MB (DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM)

DIMM3: Team Group Team-Elite 800: 4096 MB DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM (5-5-5-15 @ 400 Mhz) (4-4-4-10 @ 266 Mhz)

DIMM1: Team Group Team-Elite 800: 4096 MB DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM (5-5-5-15 @ 400 Mhz) (4-4-4-10 @ 266 Mhz)

Bios type: Award(02/19/08)

Motherboard chipset: Intel Bearlake P35

Video adapter: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285 (1024 MB)

Monitor: Generic PnP Monitor [NoDB]

3D accelerator: nVIDIA GeForce GTX 285

Audio adapter: Realtek ALC888 @ Intel 82801IB ICH9 - High Definition Audio Controller [A-2]

Storage controller: JMicron JMB36X Controller

Optical drive: SONY DVD RW DRU-880S ATA Device

IDE controller: Intel(R) ICH9 2 port Serial ATA Storage Controller 2 - 2926

IDE controller: Intel(R) ICH9 4 port Serial ATA Storage Controller 1 - 2920

Disk drive: ST500DM002-1BD142 ATA Device (500GB, 7200 RPM, SATA-III)

Disk drive: WDC WD3200BEVT-75ZCT2 ATA Device (320 GB, 5400 RPM, SATA-II)

DMI Bios Version: 6.00 PG

0 Kudos
Adolfo_S_Intel2
Employee

Please keep in mind that the processor does not have any movable parts, only the fan of the processor, so in this case I would suggest testing the fan of the processor on a different motherboard if possible, or at least try connecting the fan cable on a different port on the motherboard to see if it causes the same behavior.

Install the latest BIOS version for your motherboard if you have not done that yet.

Regarding the processor temperature dropping to dramatically, I would suggest testing the processor on another system to see if it has the same issue.

Perhaps you can test the processor on a friend's motherboard or by taking the system to a local computer store to be tested.

Also contact the motherboard manufacturer for any suggesting on this matter.

If you notice that the issue follows either the processor or the fan/heatsink, then please proceed to contact the local Intel Customer Support center at:

http://www.intel.com/support/9089.htm http://www.intel.com/support/9089.htm

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I still need help here.

0 Kudos
VNiel
Beginner

60C may be to much for your cpu since 71 is the max. Have you tried with alternative cpu cooler, like zalman, master coolers, corsair ect? Try that. Make sure that the case has good airflow.

Regards

0 Kudos