Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Intel i3 Graphics Card & Windows XP Pro Brightness Setting

idata
Employee

Hello everyone.

I recently had to re-install Windows XP Professional on my office laptop. It has a Core i3 2310m Processor and Intel HD Graphics 3000, consequently, I installed this graphics driver (URL: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?lang=eng&DwnldID=19412 http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?lang=eng&DwnldID=19412). The software successfully enabled full resolution and composition; however, it did not activate any controls for the brightness of the screen, which is currently on the highest setting. I checked the "Settings" and "Intel HD" tabs in the Display Properties window in Control Panel, but the option is not available. I also tried the shortcut on the keyboard of my laptop (Function+F6) but only a sun popup window appears and tries adjusting the display with no change. Does anyone have problem as well, or maybe can point me to some direction?

Thanks much,

John

0 Kudos
2 Replies
idata
Employee

Okay, just an update. I finally got the display controls to properly install; they're working great. However, when I boot XP the screen's brightness seems to be turned off--At first, I needed day light to see my screen. In order to fix this I have to hit Fn+F6 and adjust my brightness. This causes my screen to wake up, so to speak, and turn the brightness on. Is there anyway through this?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I tried reinstalling the driver and found the problem to remain the same--the display appears to be turned off until you hit FN+F6 or F7 to increase to decrease the brightness setting. I also have a laptop with the same processor and graphics running Windows 7 and it seems to be fine. Moving to 7 could solve this problem; however, my employer uses Windows XP and I feel more comfortable using it. Any ideas?

0 Kudos