Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20622 Discussions

Display driver crash causing system to freeze during start up of Photoshop and Premiere Pro

CAdri1
Novice

This problem only happens if I put my computer through sleep cycles. On a fresh restart I can launch both photoshop and premiere without problem. Once the system freezes, I can't do anything but to force shut-down the laptop by long pressing my power button.

The following thread describes similar issues but for a different driver. I've followed the suggestion and manually installed the latest driver from Intel (the OEM didn't work) for my intel graphics card, but the problem persists.

Any help is very appreciated!

PC Info:

Windows 8.1 84-bit

Intel Core i7-5500U CPU @ 2.40GHz

Graphics Cards:

AMD Radeon R7 M270

Intel HD Graphics 5500

7 Replies
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

What version of Photoshop and Premiere Pro are you using?

Can you provide the DxDiag report? (Press Windows* key + R key, type "dxdiag", press OK and then click "Save All Information").

CAdri1
Novice

I'm using CC (2014 versions) for the adobe softwares.

Here's the DxDiag report (taken right after a fresh restart):

------------------

System Information

------------------

ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

Hi pearnshaw

It appears your system drivers are up to date when comparing them with the download list at the Dell support site. http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/inspiron-15-7548-laptop/drivers Product Support | Dell US

Have you contacted Dell regarding the issue? Your system is a new system and Dell may or may not be aware of the issue. It would be good to bring it to their support folks as they may have a solution.

Finally, be sure you have all the patches and updates installed for your Adobe products.

Thanks

Robert

CAdri1
Novice

Hi Robert_U

Yes I have already contacted Dell multiple times and they really don't know how to help me. All they can say is that there is some software incompatibility with Intel.

I have been experimenting on my issue and I have singled out the component that is causing the problem. My Intel GPU driver crashes more often after the computer wake up from sleep in programs that rely on gpu accelaration, causing the entire system to freeze. If I go to device manager, disable and re-enable the intel graphics card, right afterwards I would be able to open both photoshop and premiere fine. But this only lasts until the next time I put my computer to sleep.

I've been discovering more programs that are effected by this problem. In addition to photoshop and premiere, my computer froze on two other occasions when I was using another program, which was VLC player during a video playback.

Do you know of any fixes, or can Intel develop a fix?

Thanks,

Clare

Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Hi Clare, I think this issue deserves more troubleshooting in order to really find the cause since it could be related to Windows*, AMD* driver or something else.

Please check the following hotfix: http://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2866485 Windows 8-based computer freezes when you resume the computer from sleep mode

The Windows* Event Log may provide valuable information.

RPaul7
Beginner

I have the precise same configuration, and am facing the same problem while starting Photoshop. Both my Intel and AMD graphics drivers are updated to the latest version. Kindly share the solution for this as it is affecting my work. Thanks.

ATerr2
Beginner

This is a problem which occurred after a windows update, There are several people with the same problem, my computer worked fine until that update about 2 weeks ago, Everywhere I went on the internet people were complaining about this problem, there are several ways people gave to solve it but mine was to no avail. if you did a search on the internet you would see it has now become a common problem, it seems to have many sources for this Display driver has stopped responding and has recovered. I wonder why so many computers are having problems with it. There are so many replies and a windows fix but it does not work for everyone, no luck, you might try doing a search for Display driver has stopped responding and has recovered and see what you can come up with, also try other search words, there are some that are not answered and others which give answers, it seems to depend on the source of the problem. I am hoping that Microsoft is working on finding out the cause or causes. You can also search Intel, I posted this question somewhere including HP I did not have any luck,It was also posted on Tom's hardware and several message boards. I hope you find the answer.