Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20498 Discussions

Intel GMA 3150 OpenGL, disabled by Windows 8!

RMari5
Beginner

I have a Neo Basic B3390 netbook with a processor of Intel Atom N570, a graphics card of Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3150 and an operating system of windows 8.

When I bought this netbook, it had an operating system of windows 7 Starter and the intel GMA 3150 worked fine but the problem came when I upgraded my OS to windows 8 wherein I cannot even open the graphics menu (graphics properties) which is possible to open in windows 7. Why is it that I cannot access the openGL of my graphics card and if I play minecraft, it won't run because it needs an accelerated openGL mode. I scanned my netbook for openGL and it said that there is no OpenGL in my netbook. Please help me because many of my applications won't run without openGL. Is the main reason is when I f***ed up my computer by upgrading to Windows 8 and losing OpenGL, or is it that Intel Corporation has no drivers for windows 8 for this GMA 3150 yet.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
KHans13
New Contributor I

You don't need Windows 8-specific drivers to run Windows 8. I've run Windows 8.1 on a GeForce FX 5200 using Vista drivers with no issues.

First, download the .exe from here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19494/Intel-Graphics-Media-Accelerator-3150-for-Windows-7-32-bit Intel® Download Center

Before you install it, go to the file's Properties and set Compatibility Mode to Windows 7; I don't know if this step is necessary but I don't usually run into trouble when I do this. You should be able to install the drivers right away and getting OpenGL up and running after a restart. If that doesn't work, you can try extracting the .zip from the same link above and using Device Manager to install the drivers.

Let me know if this worked!

0 Kudos
RMari5
Beginner

Sir, I don't know what to do. Please tell me how to install them via Device Manager

0 Kudos
KHans13
New Contributor I

Use the Windows-S key combination to bring up the search box, and type in "Device Manager". Under the Display Adapters tab you should see Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3150 or something similar. Right-click it and select "Update Driver Software...". Select the "Browse my computer..." option, then browse for the location of the unzipped driver files. It should find the driver automatically and ask for a restart.

0 Kudos
RMari5
Beginner

It's all done sir, now please tell me on how to pop-up those f***ing graphics properties and graphics options

0 Kudos
KHans13
New Contributor I

IIRC installing via Device Manager should also install Intel graphics control panel. You should be able to find it either running in your taskbar, somewhere in your Start screen, or in Windows' Control Panel. If it's not in any of those places, I don't know what to tell you. At that point, I'm the wrong person to ask.

0 Kudos