Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2047 Discussions

Do I need Intel Rapid Storage Technology Icon/Delayed Launcher?

LMoso1
New Contributor I

Will intel rapid storage technology still function properly if i disable the startup program?

I have the delayed launcher to startup with windows which shows the rapid storage technology icon in the system tray.

Is this necessary for intel rapid storage technology to function properly or can I safely disable this from starting with windows?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
LMoso1
New Contributor I

By the way, do I need IAStorDataMgrSvc service to be running in order for intel rapid storage technology to function properly?

It's set to automatic but it doesn't run at startup for some reason. Just wondering if this was going to be a problem if I need it for intel rapid storage technology to work.

0 Kudos
AP16
Valued Contributor III

The RST really require only system driver, which is loaded at early OS boot stages. System service and GUI tools are needed for monitoring and managing RAID config. If you have no RAID, and only plain HDD, you can disable them safely. If you have RAID setup, better not to disable them, cause in case of disk die you will not be informed about, so data will have no protection while you think is still offered.

0 Kudos
LMoso1
New Contributor I

In device manager, under storage controllers, it shows an entry for "intel chipset SATA RAID controller"

according to this, do I have RAID?

what kind of protection does having the icon in my system tray provide me? the IAStorDataMgrSvc service is already running. isn't this enough?

0 Kudos
AP16
Valued Contributor III

azroach wrote:

In device manager, under storage controllers, it shows an entry for "intel chipset SATA RAID controller"

according to this, do I have RAID?

Not always, you should check exact config in Intel RST tool.

The icon will show you a warnings if disk lost. The service provide a special connection to device for tool.

0 Kudos
LMoso1
New Contributor I

Well what if I already have all my data backed up?

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Based on what you have mentioned so far, I would guess you do not have a RAID configured in the system but just in case, here you have the IRST guides so you can be aware of what RAID is.

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/CS-020670.htm http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/CS-020670.htm

Also, as JFFulcrum said before if you do not have a RAID configure you can disable the Start up program. My recommendation is to keep running the other services to avoid any failure in the system.

Kevin M

0 Kudos
LMoso1
New Contributor I

why don't you explain to me what raid is and how i can check to see if i have it...

0 Kudos