Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2055 Discussions

Does RST help live Hyper-V VMs?

steam2
New Contributor I
  • I have a server with a RAID1 D: drive that includes dual 8TB HDDs. On this array I have put the server's VMs.
  • The server has a RAID1 C: drive for the OS with two 256GB SSDs.
  • The server also has a 120GB spare SSD.

Intel RST says it can use this spare SSD as a caching disk, with maximum size of 64GB.

Does it help the Hyper-V files, which are 100+ GB?

I was under the impression that the SSD/RST caching performance is only for files that would actually "fit" into the SSD cache, so files <64GB.

Can anyone comment on my assumption?

And is there any way Hyper-V VM files can get their speed increased?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
AP16
Valued Contributor III

In SmartResponse tech brief noted, that driver operates with data blocks, not files. So it may be not always the file should be in size of caching SSD. Although the Hyper-V works with storage via own storage driver filter, so unlikely SR/RST are capable to look into Hyper-V I/O operations.

steam2
New Contributor I

Thanks for that. Specifically, I'm wondering if RST Acceleration is advantageous for caching .VHDX files? (not the contents inside the VHDX files)

0 Kudos
PDenn
Novice

I am contemplating exactly the same setup as it seems to make a lot of sense for hyperV ie raid 1 for security and ssd for caching.

I was also wondering how the cache works in the event of the ssd failing ?

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All,

If SSD fails, the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology software will show a pop-up letting know the customer that there is an issue with the SSD. All the information is always kept in the Hard Disk Drives.

I recommend you the article: Intel® Smart Response Technology User Guide

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000005501.html Intel® Smart Response Technology User Guide

Regards,

Mike C
0 Kudos
PDenn
Novice

Thanks for reply. I have read the guide but not very informative particularly as this is a production server, not much information about how this works and we are very concerned about data loss.

With regard to the question about HyperV if the virtual machine is using a physical disc rather than VHD would this be cached ? In order to use a physical disc that this must be off-line in windows disk management so would the IRT cache still apply ?

Also can we use IRT Raid 1 with offline disks ie would they be selectable in the IRT gui as available for acceleration?

Paul

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Toomanylogins,

The acceleration mode requires to be set manually through Intel® RST software and it needs to be on line always. It requires to be recognized by Windows Disk Management.

Regards,

Mike C
0 Kudos
PDenn
Novice

Thanks Mike,

To Confirm as follows.

1. Intel Raid cannot be used with SSD raid 1 as trim not supported see other thread.

2. Intel RST does not support cache on SSD for Hyper V vhd

3. Intel Raid cannot be used with Offline disks therefore direct disk attach for Hyper V not supported.

In the new server I have just built now regret the choice of hardware as cant use SSD and raid 1.

Regards

Paul

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

TRIM is supported in AHCI and RAID mode for drives not part of a RAID volume.

More details in the link below:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000005807.html RAID Features by Chipset or Controller Hub

Regards,

Mike C
0 Kudos