Items with no label
3335 Discussions

Recognition Database location and format

RCrey
Beginner

A couple of questions regarding the recognition database:

1. By default, what path is this stored at?
  2. In what format is user recognition data stored in?
  3. Is the database shared between applications or application instances?
  4. Is it possible to specify a custom path for the database?

Thanks in advance,

0 Kudos
1 Solution
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Facial recognition databases are the one aspect of RealSense where I cannot recommend starting a project involving it. There are bugs in the recognition system that are never likely to be fixed. The '2016 R3' RealSense SDK especially has issues with its face module, as specified by this 'known issue' blog post made yesterday.

If you wish to attempt to develop a face recognition system with RealSense despite the known issues, the following discussion should be particularly informative.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Facial recognition databases are the one aspect of RealSense where I cannot recommend starting a project involving it. There are bugs in the recognition system that are never likely to be fixed. The '2016 R3' RealSense SDK especially has issues with its face module, as specified by this 'known issue' blog post made yesterday.

If you wish to attempt to develop a face recognition system with RealSense despite the known issues, the following discussion should be particularly informative.

0 Kudos
RCrey
Beginner

I'm using the C# SDK - not libpxcface_idc.dll.

My requirements for the database are transient so corruption is a low risk - but the questions above are key to ensuring I can clear the database and manage it's size, albeit for very short periods of time.

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

The face recognition issues are not limited to the latest SDK and go back as far as 2015. In the older DLLs like the ones that you are likely using, the most common problem is an inability to recall saved face IDs the next time that a face recognition application is loaded after a reset. If you are not aiming to store the IDs in a file then you may be okay.

0 Kudos
RCrey
Beginner

I only require the database to be retained during an application instance. I just wanted to check that, by default, it isn't persisted somewhere and isn't hydrated when another subsequent RealSense session begins?

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

This article is a useful starting point for learning facial recognition. Bear in mind that the source code provided with the article does not work for most people who try it,

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/code-sample-facial-recognition-using-intel-realsense-sdk Code Sample: Facial Recognition Using Intel® RealSense™ SDK | Intel® Software

Also, this:

https://software.intel.com/sites/landingpage/realsense/camera-sdk/v1.1/documentation/html/index.html?doc_face_face_recognition_data.html Intel® RealSense™ SDK 2016 R2 Documentation

0 Kudos