Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20623 Discussions

60Hz Refresh Rate for Intel HD 530

THart5
Beginner

I just purchased a 4K TV that is capable of 3840 x 2160 resolution at a refresh rate of 60Hz. However, the HD 530 chip in my i7 6700 processor doesn't appear to allow a refresh rate of 60Hz. Specs say is should. Everywhere I look in Win10, the max refresh rate is listed as 30Hz which I can't live with. I fired up the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel | Options and Support and exported the report (attached). It also lists 30Hz as the max. I tried to create a Custom Resolution of 3840 x 2160 x 60Hz under the panel's Display options and got an error message "The custom resolution exceeds the maximum bandwidth capacity" (also attached).

What do I have to do to bump up the refresh rate to 60Hz.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Significent,

Thank you for contacting the Intel community.

What is your TV model?

I have seen this issue happening because the monitor has a HDMI input setting, which can set the input HDMI port works at 1.4 or 2.0. But the default is 1.4, try to set it to 2.0, that will make it work at 60Hz.

I hope this can help.

Regards,

Ivan U.

0 Kudos
THart5
Beginner

Ivan:

Thanks for your reply. The TV is a Bolva 40BL00H7-01. I confirmed with the manufacturer that it does indeed support a 60Hz refresh rate at 3840 x 2160. As you suggested, I looked through the menus for some mechanism to modify the HDMI compatibility setting. I didn't find a 1.4 / 2.0 switch; but, I did see a 4K HDMI setting that could be changed from "Standard" to "Enhanced", presumable for all 4 HDMI ports. I tried that, powered everything down and back up without any luck. Any other thoughts? Thanks again.

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hello,

Can you let us know what is the model of the computer? The reason why I'm asking is because 3840x2160@60hz requires the HDMI output to be HDMI 2.0

If the HDMI output is version 1.4 it will be limited to 3840x2160@30hz since it doesn't have the bandwidth to carry 4K@60hz signals.

Just to clarify, the Intel HD Graphics 530 does support 4K@60hz, but it has to be done through HDMI 2.0 or DP 1.2 outputs, and ports availability depend on the motherboard/computer manufacturer.

Regards,

Ronald M.

0 Kudos
THart5
Beginner

Ronald, that is indeed the problem. I spent a couple of hours reading and talking to the maker of my PC last evening and confirmed that my motherboard/on-board chip set are limited to HDMI 1.4. Earlier this morning, I ordered a GEFORCE® GTX 1050 2G OC graphics card to work around the problem. That's not the solution I was looking for; but, it's likely the least expensive solution.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
bsank1
Beginner

Hello everyone,

I am having the same problem, I bought a 4K monitor its runs at 60 Hertz and, I have a laptop with Intel HD 530 graphics and Nvidia 960M. at first I connected via HDMI 1.4 then I did little search and I got to know that 1.4 I will not give the output so I bought a HDMI 2.0 version from Amazon and in the cable review they have said that this cable running 4K at 60 hertz no problem that's why I bought it. I am still having the same problem it's not giving 60hz, at 4k it's giving 30 hz at 4K and 60 hz in 1080 p. in my laptop I don't have a display port so please help me

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hello @bsank1​ 

What is the model of your computer?

Let me clarify, the HDMI output on your computer has to be HDMI 2.0, otherwise it doesn't matter if you upgrade your cable.

Regards,

Ronald M.

0 Kudos
xacs
Beginner

Hello @Ronald_Intel​ @RONALD.A.BENSON​ ,

I too am having this issue - I can not connect 4K at 60hz signal.

Computer: DELL LATITUDE E5570

Display adapter: Intel(R) HD Graphics 530

Driver: 23.20.16.4973, 2/28/2018 (Windows 10 states this is the most recent)

TV: Samsung Q50R

Port Replicator: DELL E-PORT

Connection from Replicator: DP++ 1.2

Connection to TV: HDMI 2.0

Cable: DP to HDMI 4K 60hz compatible

Display information: Samsung, Display 1 Connected to Intel(R) HD Graphics 530

Active signal resolution 3840x2160

Refresh rate (Hz): 30 Hz

Under Display adapter properties > Monitor > Screen refresh rate: allows me to see and select 50, 59, and 60 Hertz, but as soon as either is applied, the system automatically defaults back to 30 Hz.

I've checked and double checked, and everything should be working at 4K 60 Hz. The only question as to why it's not is the Intel display adapter.

Please review and respond. Thank you.

0 Kudos