Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

memory for cpu

RH2
Beginner

Hello !

Is what i can use a memory of 3733 with a cpu i7-7700 on a motherboard asus maximus CODE

Sorry for my english ... im french XD

0 Kudos
8 Replies
AlHill
Super User

The motherboard dictates what memory can be used. Go to the ASUS website, find your board, and look at the specifications for the board. There, it will tell you what memory can be used.

Doc

idata
Employee

Thank you very much to Al Hill for the information provided above.

Hi RollandH: Thank you very much for joining the Intel® Processors communities.

Remember that the memory controller is located on the processor, the board might be able to support different types of memory RAM but the processor indicates which memory RAM to use, which is: DDR4-2133/2400, DDR3L-1333/1600 @ 1.35V:

http://ark.intel.com/products/97128/Intel-Core-i7-7700-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_20-GHz http://ark.intel.com/products/97128/Intel-Core-i7-7700-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_20-GHz

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R

RH2
Beginner

Thank you for your answers !

So even if my motherboard supports ram from 2133 to 4133, if my processor runs only 2400, it is needless to pay for a ddr4 3733?!?!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

RollandH: You are welcome. That is correct, because by using a memory RAM that is not supported by the processor, you will be forcing it to run at speeds it does not support, so you might notice performance problems and then sooner or later the PC might not work at all with that type of memory.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
RH2
Beginner

Thank you again for your quick reply this is very appreciated !! I will follow your recommendation and adhere to the cpu standards. But I still wonder why it makes motherboard that manages up to 4133 mhz if there is no cpu compatible to this one to manage 4133 ... the highest I have seen is a cpu has 2666 I think .. The most compatible CPU compatible up to 2400 max ...

I read a lot lately and saw videos ... lots of bad information !!! Difficult to find the truth !!

I will change my configuration and find the best configuration for a price that will be affordable to me.

Thanks again !!
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

RollandH: You are welcome. Perfect, In regard to your inquiry, the reason for that is in the case a processor that supports 4133MHz becomes available. Just to be clear, there is no official information stating there will be one in the market, but just in case the board will be able to support it.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
RH2
Beginner

Thank you so much again !! Now I have my final configuration: P

MBC Maximus IX CODE

CPU i7-7700K

CPU Cooler Corsair H105

Memory Dominator Platinum CMD16GX4M4B2400C10

GPU GTX 1070-O8GB-GAMING

Storage 960 EVO 500MB M.2-2280

Case Corsaire 750D AirFlow

Power Supply Corsair 750W 80+ Platinium

Thanks a lot !!!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

RollandH: Perfect. You are very welcome.

Any other inquiry, do not hesitate in contact us again.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos