Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20599 Discussions

HD 4600 with XL2411 monitor 1920x1080 120Hz

DOglo
Beginner

Hello,

Recently, I purchased a Zowie BenQ XL2411. I am having trouble running the monitor at 120hz. I am using a laptop, which has a mini-displayport input (1.2), also it has HDMI port. I also know for sure that the Intel HD 4600 is 144hz-120hz compatible based on this link /thread/53436 https://communities.intel.com/thread/53436 The laptop also has an Nvidia GTX 870M for gaming, which can definitely run the required Hz. I am using Dual DVI cable supplied with the monitor and mini-displayport to dual-link DVI-D adapter. That adapter is definetely active (written on it and it is 1.2) However, when I select a refresh rate higher than 60, I DO get picture, however I get an error message that never goes away saying "Incorrect Cable. Please use the DVI cable that came with your monitor." At 1080p 100hz, I get this message but I can run games fine. However at 120 hz, I get this message AND the screen blacks out every 20 seconds or so, then comes back. Sometimes I get lucky and it can run for an hour before screwing up. 144hz is completely nonresponsive even at lower resolutions, so my guess is that my computer simply does not support the 144hz, but it DOES support 120. 120 can run fine even on HDMI at 1600x900(using Custom Resolution). However the HDMI cannot run 120 at 1080p, only a maximum of 90hz. Anyway, with this adapter the max I can get is 100hz. At 120hz, I get crystal clear quality and the corresponding refresh rate but the screen blanks out every 20 seconds. Need to mention also, that all of the monitor ports on the laptop are connected to HD 4600. GTX is only used for games and when other apps need it. Thanks and regards.

Update: When playing games like Heroes of Might and Magic VI the black square on the bottom of the screen (which contains the message: Incorrect cable...) disappears. That to me says that: 1) the cables used to connect monitor are OK 2) When GTX 870M kicks in during game and it handles monitor resolution and timing correctly, but as soon as I leave the game the HD 4600 takes control and it is not handling the monitor connection accurately...

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello RedChameleon,

I understand you are trying to use your BenQ ZOWIE XL2411 monitor at 120Hz.

Let me apologize for any inconvenience this issue may be causing to you.

In order to help you better I would like to gather more information about the configuration you have in the computer. Please attach to this thread the .txt file the Intel® System Support Utility will generate https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

To attach a file, you must click "Use Advanced Editor" on the upper right hand corner of the response box, then the "attach" option will appear on the bottom right hand corner of the response box.

Regards,

Fred D.
0 Kudos
DOglo
Beginner

Thank you for your answer. Please find info attached.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello RedChameleon,

Thanks for the information you sent to me.

The information our colleague Robert_U posted on the thread you mentioned on your first post is accurate. We support 120Hz through HDMI and Displayport*. We cannot guarantee 120Hz will be able to work fine if you are using DVI port. The mini Displayport to dual-link DVI-D adapter might or might not work correctly.

If possible try different mini Displayport* to dual-link DVI-D active adapter.

Let me know if you have or not any other inquiry.

Regards,

Fred D.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello RedChameleon,

I was wondering if you still need assistance regarding the 120Hz refresh rate you are trying to use. In case you still need assistance just let me know.

Regards,

Fred D.
0 Kudos
DOglo
Beginner

Fixed it finally just about an hour ago. What you need to address this is: active adaptor from DVI-D dual port to Display Mini port. I've used this one:

Akord Active Mini DisplayPort DP & USB to DVI Dual Link Cable Adapter Dual-Link .

When using it, I finally was able to get 1920x1080 120Hz and even 144Hz. Other solutions, i.e. HDMI 1.4 cable or the one described above, i.e. DVI-D cable from monitor to

XCSOURCE Active DisplayPort DP to DVI Adapter don't work. HDMI cable doesn't give 120Hz option at all. Solution with XCSOURCE adapter gives the 120Hz option, but there is an "Incorrect cable..." message on the bottom of the screen.

But with Akord adaptor 120Hz 1920x1080 works without any issues.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello RedChameleon,

I am glad to hear the issue has been fixed. Do not hesitate to contact us back if you have any other inquiry.

Regards,

Fred D.
0 Kudos