Items with no label
3335 Discussions

Intel Realsense SR300 dynamic configuration in ROS

ATopa1
Beginner

Hello everyone,

I am using the SR300 sensor on ubuntu 14.04 and ROS Indigo, with the realsense_camera package.

I would like to configure the sensor by using the dynamic_reconfigure package. However, I could

only find documentation on some of the parameters. In particular, I am looking for the purpose of

sr300_auto_range_enable_motion_versus_range. It can take values [0,2], but I have no idea what

each one of these values mean and how they affect the performance of the sensor.

Any feedback would be very much appreciated and quite helpful.

Thank you in advance,

Angeliki

0 Kudos
6 Replies
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Sergey Dorodnicov, one of the authors of Librealsense, recommends avoiding trying to program auto-range, as the feature is only there as a technical workaround to make other stuff in Librealsense work. He says:

"It is not recommended to set AUTO_RANGE options by hand, and the fact that they are exposed in librealsense API as individual options is more of a technical constraint to enable rsutils.h rather then an intentional design decision. It is likely those options will get deprecated in the future, in favor of using presets. (obviously, if you wish to tinker with them you are still welcomed to, librealsense is an open-source)".

0 Kudos
ATopa1
Beginner

Dear MartyG,

Thank you for the feedback, but your response does not answer my question.

sr300_auto_range_enable_motion_versus_range can be 0, 1 or 2. The default value is 1.

What is the difference among 0, 1 and 2? Is this AUTO_RANGE parameter enabled with 1?

Can I disable it with 0 or 2?

Thank you for your time.

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

I was not able to find useful documentation that describes the numbers associated with this function (probably because it is a workaround rather than a proper feature). I did see one script that defined the numbers as referring to minimum and maximum values (0 being min and 2 being max).

Looking at other instructions with auto features suggested that if you define any value (whether 0, 1 or 2) then it disables the auto function of that instruction if it has automation.

0 Kudos
ATopa1
Beginner

Thank you MartyG for your reply.

0 Kudos
RLi23
Beginner

Dear Angeliki,

I am a newbie to the SR300 on ROS Indigo and Ubuntu 14.04. Could you please tell me how to use the realsense SDK to connect with ROS? Now I successfully configured the librealsense and realsense_camera package of ROS, then installed rviz to construct the environment, what should I do next? Could you please give me some suggestions or some materials to refer?

Many thanks.

Best regards,

Richie

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

The launch instructions on this article look as though they may be useful to you.

https://robolady.wordpress.com/2016/11/27/running-intel-realsense-r200-ros-nodelet-and-rviz/ Running Intel RealSense R200 ROS nodelet and RViz – Robotics. And other stuff too.

0 Kudos