Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20600 Discussions

Intel HD - Office 2016 - 4K Resolution

NTong1
Beginner

Hi, I've been troubleshooting a problem for the past 6 months with Office 2016 and running a 4K resolution.

I have narrowed down to a combination of whats in the title. We recently upgraded a few machines to 4K Screens and started getting problems within Outlook and Excel 2016.

When maximized, Outlook/Excel wouldnt always refresh properly, and leave white boxes on the screen. Sometimes you can just put the program into a window, then re-maximize and it would sort itself out. Other times you need to close/open the program.

Either way, it would happen at least once an hour. But only with 4K screens. The problem was that irritating that I have had to roll back to HD resolution monitors.

We had 4 machines with 4K screens, and all of them would have this problem. They were all various Dell Optiplex models with Intel display adapters.

I tried upgrading one of them to an Nvidia Quadro P400, and the problem went away. So I'm thinking its a problem with combination of Intel HD vid, Office 2016 and 4k resolution.

Has anyone else had this issue?

(More information here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_outlook-mso_win10/4k-touchscreen-issue-rectangular-patches-covering/72307ca0-5b2f-430a-8a4a-4cf54ad36727 4K display resolution issue: rectangular patches covering - Microsoft Community )

Thanks,

Nathan

0 Kudos
9 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello dekkar,

Thank you for contacting Intel Communities.

I understand you are having issues with 4K resolution when running Office 2016 in a maximized windows. Can you please provide the following information to better assist you?

/thread/77761 Default level information for reporting Graphics issues and the system reports outlined at the bottom of the post.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Regards,

Juan V.
0 Kudos
NTong1
Beginner

Hi, I'll start filling this in, and complete it when I get a chance to access the machines in question. I'll try and get a video of the problem.

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

Please place an X to the right of the option showing how often you see this issue using specific steps. (Ex: 'Every few times a game is started it flickers.' <- This would be "Often")<p> 

Always (100%):

Often (51-99%):

Sporadic (20-50%): X

Very Sporadic (<20%):

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

Dell Optiplex 7040M/9020M / Precision 3420

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?

ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

No

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below). 

LFP = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)

EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in)

EFP: Dell S2817Q

EFP: Dell P4317Q

How much memory [RAM] in the system (see note2 below).

32GB

<span style="font-weight: inherit; font-style: inherit; font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial, sans-serif;"...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello dekkar,

Thank you for the information.

Let me set up a lab to test this configuration and I will update this thread once I have the results.

Best Regards,

Juan V.
0 Kudos
NTong1
Beginner

Interestingly enough, the problem hasn't come back on this particular machine. After installing the Nvidia card, and then removing it and reverting back to the onboard, the problem hasnt shown up again.

I'll have to test on another machine.

Thanks,

Dekkar

0 Kudos
NTong1
Beginner

OK, the very next thing I do causes the problem. I've attached images of both the problem (with parts of Outlook missing), and how it should look.

I've blurred any sensitive info.

Thanks,

Dekkar

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi dekkar,

Thank you for the information.

I will look into this and I will update this thread once I have further details.

Regards,

Juan V.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello dekkar,

I tested the following:

Intel® NUC Kit NUC6i3SYH.

Windows® 10 Pro, 64 Bit.

Intel® HD Graphics 520, driver version: Version: 15.45.19.4678.

LG 55UH8500 TV using an HDMI high-speed cable (straight video connection).

Resolution: 3840x2160 60Hz

MS Office 2016.

I ran tests for about an hour, switched between maximized and normal window but I was unable to replicate the issue you described.

Best Regards,

Juan V.
0 Kudos
NTong1
Beginner

Hi Juan, thanks for trying.... .I continue my quest to get 4K working properly!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi dekkar,

Please don't hesitate in contacting us back if you need further assistance.

Best Regards,

Juan V.
0 Kudos