Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

HD Graphics 4400 Pnp monitor sleeps randomly (HP ProBook 450 G2)

SFord3
Novice

Windows 10 (up to date)

HP ProBook 450 G2

(Monitor adapter HD Graphics 4400 Pnp)

After a windows 10 update in mid May 2017 the monitor began sleeping after no activity for about 10 minutes. At that time the settings where to sleep after about an hour. I changed them to the equivalent of 'never' sleep in all modes and have left them like that. It continued to sleep after about 10 minutes.

240517 I reinstalled HP SP79336.exe (15.40.30.64.4531) and it seemed to be ok

020617 The problem returned. No obvious cause. Re-installed the driver above. Seemed ok

About a week later it started sleeping randomly after a few minutes. I have not identified a set of events which coincide with the sleep (or not to sleep - ie to behave correctly). I began wondering whether it had something to do with MS Word 2010 but I have not confirmed that.

0 Kudos
17 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello theHeatingEngineer,

Have you tried testing one of our generic drivers? I would recommend the following version: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26682/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-40-?product=81497 Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.40]

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
SFord3
Novice

No, but I used your suggestion and the installation failed with "The driver being installed is not validated for this computer. Obtain the appropriate driver from the computer's manufacturer. Setup will exit."

I understand the the new driver may be installed by uninstalling the manufacturers driver first. Do you know what happens if the display driver is uninstalled first? I was concerned that the display may just stop working, which would really cause problems.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Windows® 10 will load the Microsoft Basic driver in case no driver is found.

Try this method https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005629.html Manually Install an Intel® Graphics Driver in Windows® 10 and Windows...

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
SFord3
Novice

The installation process did not proceed as per the instructions.

The driver started at Ver: 20.19.15.4531, 29/09/2016 which is different from the one I installed a few days ago (HP SP79336.exe (15.40.30.64.4531))

I downloaded and expanded the zip file for 15.40.34.4624 which appears as 15.40.34.64.4624 in the readme file

I followed the manual installation instructions and selected the folder only for the installation process to announce that the drivers where up to date, at which point the installation stopped.

I decided to try uninstalling the drivers which seemed to go ok. On re-booting the driver in place was 10.

On trying to install the drivers from the relevant folder the installation went as expected however, the driver was then at 20.

I rebooted and now the driver is now at 10.18.15.4268 05/08/2015

I will try the update again and see what happens.

-----

The installation process says that the driver is up to date and will not install 15.40.34.4624

-----

I selected update and search online. THe process completed ok and now the driver ver is: 20.19.15.4531, 29/09/2016 again.

It seems that Windows has a mind of its own and will not allow me to install the drivers I want.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

/thread/115743 theHeatingEngineer, please try installing the driver one more time with the following steps.

1. Login with administrator privileges

2. Open Control Panel

3. Open Device Manager

4. Click on "Display adapters"

5. Double click "Intel HD Graphics"

6. Click on the "Driver" tab

7. Click on "Update Driver" button

8. Click on "Browse my computer for driver software"

9. Click on "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"

10. Click on "Have Disk" button

11. Click "Browse"

12. Navigate to the folder that you unzipped the Intel HD Graphics driver to

13. Navigate to the Graphics sub-folder

14. Double click the igdlh64.inf or igdlh.inf file <-- depends on if you have 32 or 64 bit OS

15. Click "OK"

16. Click "Next", Driver should now be installing.

17. If successful, click "Close", Reboot.

One more thing regarding the driver version, the last 4 digits indicate the version install. More information can be found here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005654.html Understanding the Intel® Graphics Driver Version Number

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
SFord3
Novice

This time the procedure followed the steps shown above. Thank you for that. And also for the link to understanding the driver numbers. Interestingly this helped because on the download page I couldn't see the difference in the four downloads until I finally focused on two 32bit files and two for 64bit.

After the installation (which seemed to progress without errors) the driver registered to the display adapter is as shown below. The readme file show 15.40.34.64.4624 So I don't know what has happened there? I looks wrong...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Sure, you're welcome.

It seems like the driver was successfully installed, remember that the first number is your operating system which is Windows® 10, followed by the DirectX version and then you will find the build number(last four digits). See below.

The number on the readme file is just for Intel reference.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
SFord3
Novice

Ah, I didn't realise there was an Intel ref and a MS ref. It seems I didn't read to the end of the document. Actually, the document needs to present its contents in the first paragraph eg this document shows the two reference numbering systems used by Intel and Microsoft. To be honest I was not ready for two reference number formats. That seems to me to complicate the driver issue more than necessary.

But anyway, the problem I reported initially was the monitor sleeping randomly. It's been fairly good over the last few days, but this evening it's gone to sleep several times after just ten minutes of inactivity. I'm surprised its not possible to turn on some data logging so that faults like this can be traced.

It's been an interesting exercise to see how the drivers are installed but without proper debugging tools we are just stabbing in the dark. It's very demoralising...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

My apologies for the inconvenience.

I would like to know; have you reported this to HP support? Did they provide more troubleshooting steps?

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks for link.

Is there any chance you can talk them through chat or phone support? I would recommend it in case they are aware of the situation and can provide drivers and troubleshooting steps.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
SFord3
Novice

I will see what support is available.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hope HP support provided more troubleshooting steps.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
SFord3
Novice

The display has behaved itself recently. Logically I should be annoyed because it's working...! And I probably would not get very far with a support question along the lines "I had a problem a couple of weeks ago...".

On the other hand, I have no reason to believe that divine intervention has occurred, so the problem is just waiting to jump out and bite me when it feels like it. Until then I don't have any fresh bite marks, just few old scars... 🙂

I don't mind if this thread is closed, but as far as I am concerned it's not fixed.

Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Sure, you're welcome.

From my end you can keep on checking the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/ Drivers & Software for further driver releases.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
SFord3
Novice

I have noted that point. Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Sure, you're welcome.

Regards,

Amy C.
0 Kudos