Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14404 Discussions

i7 6700k instability

idata
Employee

Hi, first of all, I would like to show you what I have on my system.

CPU: i7 6700k

Motherboard: Asus z170 Pro Gaming

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850w gold

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666MHz (2x8GB) Black

GPU: MSI GeForce GTX980

I am already desperate. I kept on getting "CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT" and "WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR" BSODs for the past two weeks on my computer since powering it up. It's supposedly a newly built system using my SSD+HHD and GTX980 from my old AMD system. I tried resetting the CMOS to see if that will fix my issue but unfortunately, it didn't. I'm still getting some random freezes and reboots when i'm not doing anything heavy like gaming or stress testing. It freezes randomly where the sounds get stuck and it throws a blue screen error of one of those that I mentioned above. I already tried changing the first pair of DIMMs (Corsair Dominator Platinum 3000MHz 2x8GB) I had and i'm still getting some blue screens. Everything is at stock speed with the only changes I did was to manually set the CPU voltage in my BIOS to 1.200v. XMP is disabled as well. I want to know if my CPU is the one that is deffective. I've been spending so much time on trying to figure out what's wrong with my system.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Got the new i7-6700k processor, installed ... the PC is working perfectly. I'm overjoyed. I confirm that it was the failed CPU. Disappeared entirely the fault. Thank you all for the support.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
17 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello aeunexcore:

In this case in order to fix the problem the first thing to do will be to set the BIOS to default values, the fact that you change the voltage could be the reason why this problem is happening,

Please try a BIOS update to the latest version of the board and also install the latest drivers, you can get them from the following link, you just need to choose the operating system:

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z170-PRO-GAMING/HelpDesk_Download/ https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z170-PRO-GAMING/HelpDesk_Download/

Also, please test the PC using just one memory stick, try this with all the sticks to rule out a possible memory problem.

Do you have the option to use a different SSD or hard drive?

For testing purposes please test the PC without the video card.

Remember that the top speed for the memory is 2133MHz, is the memory RAM working at that speed?

At this point it is hard to tell what might be the problem with the PC, could be the motherboard or could be the board, do you have the option to test the board with a different motherboard, or test your motherboard with a different processor?

Maybe there is a PC repair store close to you where they might be able to do that for you.

Any questions, please let me know.

Alberto

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I am having the same issue. I believe the cause on my 6700k is the CPU itself. Troubleshooting below

Receiving various BSOD crash errors. Including clock watchdog timeout.

Specs:

Graphics Card: PNY 1080 GTX

Mother Board: ASUS Maximus VII Hero

RAM: Corsair dominator platinum DDR4 3000MHZ

Power: 1200w Silent Pro Gold

Troubleshooting:

- Tested without video card still BSOD

- Reset Board to factory defaults. Still BSOD

- Swapped out Ram to known working ram in another machine and tried one stick. Still recieving BSOD

- Tried replacing each computer part out with a known working part. Still received BSOD until switching I7 with a known working CPU. BSOD then stopped occuring.

- Tested faulty I7 in another known working machine and BSOD started to occur in known working machine.

Tried doing a warranty replacement but the system appears to be down

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Your issue will be addressed at your thread:

Doc

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello:

Thank you very much AL Hill for providing that information.

To sineyopity:

The agent working on your thread will be able to further assist you.

Regards

Alberto

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have the same problem, also I did lots of tests. My PC is completely new ... I have replaced the GPU, PSU, RAM Motherbourd I always make the same mistake (Whea_Uncorrectable_Error).

I got an improvement by changing the value of the Vcore.

I think it's faulty CPU (i7-6700K) I asked the replacement. As soon as I will update. Greetings to all
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Antonio63:

Thank you very much for letting us know that information.

Yes, after swapping all those parts, and trying the troubleshoot steps recommended above, if the problem remains then it seems to be a problem with the processor itself.

The processor has 3 years of warranty, if you are interested in the replacement, please get in contact directly with us through chat, email, phone or online support, you just need to select processor on product type and you will get those options:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html# @12 http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html# @12

Alberto

idata
Employee

Thanks for the help, if I have problems with the dealer then I address you directly.

But how soon I will have to replace the processor ?? I need the pc ..
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I just sent mine yesterday to get replaced. If I remember correctly, it will take 2-3 weeks until you get the replacement part after they received the one you wanted to get replaced.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello:

In order to check how the replacement process works please get in contact with Intel directly through chat, email, phone or online support, you just need to select processor on product type and you will get those options:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html# @12 http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html# @12

Regards

Alberto

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Antonio63:

Perfect, excellent, it is really great to hear that the PC is working fine now.

To aeunexcore:

I just wanted to check if you received the new processor and if the problem persists or if it was resolved?

Alberto

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

It did fix my issue as well. I got my CPU back in under a week and its working as intended now.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello aeunexcore:

Awesome, perfect, it is great to hear the problem got fixed with the new processor and now the PC is working fine.

Any other inquiry, do not hesitate in contact us again.

Regards

Alberto

0 Kudos
AJana1
Valued Contributor I

Hello there,

Even though it is a little bit ridiculous, but would you please or have chances to have a try on motherboard rather than ASUS? I guess that might be some problems occur from the compatibility problems arose by firmware, special features, even though it is listed in the their supported processor list.

Best Regards,

Aaron Janagewen

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks for the reply.

I replaced the Asus motherboard Gigabyte ... I replaced power supply, RAM, video card (all new) updated bios. always I get the same error. I Posted processor to the retailer. I will keep you informed as soon as I get a replacement. Thanks for everything
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Antonio63:

You are welcome, perfect, thank you very much for letting us know that information.

Once you get the replacement processor please let us know the results.

Alberto

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Got the new i7-6700k processor, installed ... the PC is working perfectly. I'm overjoyed. I confirm that it was the failed CPU. Disappeared entirely the fault. Thank you all for the support.

0 Kudos