Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20632 Discussions

Intel HD + Discrete Graphics Card

VSamo
Beginner

Hello everyone.

Does Intel HD in somehow way used by CPU while discrete graphics card is plugged?

I assume situation where discrete graphics card is properly installed, enabled, configured and fully responsible for rendering.

I've searched through google and founded that people say it's completely idle.

However, I'm little bit surprised because my initial thinking was that it's used for floating point calculations to leverage system resources.

I'm sorry if such kind of question was already asked several times before and could bore You but I really want to know truth behind the case.

I'm also sorry if I posted this in wrong place.

Regards, newbie.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AP16
Valued Contributor III

It depend on motherboard vendor: if realized in BIOS dual-graphics support (option often called iGPU MultiMonitor), both graphics can be active and useful, although only QuickSync video transcoding stable work with no display attached to IGP/mainboard, even OpenCL may not work without display connected (can be solved using fake-monitor HDMI dongles).

0 Kudos
IUman
Honored Contributor II

That is correct, it depends on the motherboard manufacturer, and at this point I recommend checking with your motherboard manufacturer to find out if the motherboard BIOS has dual-graphics support.

0 Kudos