Intel® Optane™ Solid State Drives
Support for Issues Related to Solid State Drives based on Intel® Optane™ technology, Intel® MAS and Firmware Update Tool
431 Discussions

Optane 32 GB Module - After Enabling Pegged at 90+ Utilization

DMend5
Beginner

Hello,

I just built a system and installed Intel Optane 32 GB along with a Seagate Firecuda 2.0 TB SSHD (Hybrid drive with 8 GB flash acceleration). The OS install went smoothly, formatted the harddrive to GPT and enabled Raid and Optane from BIOs and installed the most current RST software from the MB OEM website (Asus). After a few system boots the computer starts to behave extremely slowly (with boot time taking minutes and app launches several seconds. When I look at the task manager I can see that the hard drive is fully utilized (>90%) constantly yet there are barely any applications or processes running (nothing that would indicate why the hard drive is pegged at full utilization). I have tried disabling Optane (which takes 3 hours to disable) and install new software and check that everything is running correctly and re-enable and the same exact thing occurs (after a few boots the system behaves slowly and hard drive shows full utilization constantly). Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong or if there is a known incompatibility with my hard drive? If it is know that Optane is not compatible with SSHDs is there is fix in the works or some other work around?

Thanks for your help!

Douglas

Here is the system information:

• Processor: i5-7600K
  • Motherboard: Asus Prime Z270-AR
  • Optane 32 GB Drive
  • RST Version 15.7.1.1015
  • Hard Drive: Firecuda ST2000DX002
  • Windows: Win 10 Pro 64 Bit Version 1703, build 15063

0 Kudos
2 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello HFE-Dude,

We understand your Intel® Optane™ Memory Technology is having issues with performance when it is enabled.

We have some questions for you, just to verify:

-Do you have this https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-Z270-AR/HelpDesk_BIOS/ BIOS version 1009 installed?

-Have you tested the other M.2 slot in the motherboard?

-Have you formatted the Intel® Optane™ Module, using https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/memory-and-storage/000022179.html Diskpart?

-Please attach the logs from this location: C:\Users\Username\Intel\Logs

We will be waiting for your response.

Regards,

Nestor C
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello HFE-Dude,

We'd like to know if you read our previous post and if you require further assistance. We'll be waiting for your response.

Regards,

Nestor C
0 Kudos