Items with no label
3335 Discussions

D400 cameras backed up until October

RTasa
New Contributor I

That was disappointing news I read on the web page this morning.

https://software.intel.com/en-us/realsense/400-series Intel® RealSense™ Depth Cameras D400-Series | Intel® Software

0 Kudos
29 Replies
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Yes, I understood that this would be difficult for you as you need to finalize your plans in September, so you need more information about the D-cameras now. I wonder if the documentation links that I set up yesterday will provide enough details for you to make an informed decision.

RTasa
New Contributor I

I read through it and it seems pretty basic.

I am not familiar enough to know but I can guess the image comes in at RGBD format? Is it 16 bit or 8? I am guessing this is all on linux then?

Wonder what the price point will be. < the Euclid since its only the camera.

0 Kudos
RTasa
New Contributor I

Sorry forgot to add Thanks Marty

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

You are most welcome!

The SDK works with Windows and Linux. More information about the D-camera tech spec should be revealed when it appears on the Click store. It is likely that the docs on the Librealsense site's development branch will continue to be updated in the meantime.

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

I found a link to a short university technical paper that discusses some details of the D-camera under its former name of RS400 on the last page, page 8. It is linked to from the official readme page of Librealsense, so can be considered a trusted, approved source.

https://arxiv.org/abs/1705.05548v1 [1705.05548v1] Intel RealSense Stereoscopic Depth Cameras

0 Kudos
FAlbe2
Beginner

Are there any updates regarding the release of the D435? Will it be released in October?

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

I haven't heard anything about the release date of the D-cameras changing from October. My guess would be that they are running down the stocks of the existing camera models in the Click online store before clearing the listings and just having the D415 and D435 in the store.

0 Kudos
FLeac
Novice

I just noticed that this morning they removed the "Will be released in October" text from the official page. https://software.intel.com/en-us/realsense/d400 Overview of the Intel® RealSense™ Depth Camera | Intel® Software

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

I don't think that the removal of the mention of October is significant, as they have just changed the page from its briefly detailed preview version to the final version with the full tech spec in advance of the camera going on sale.

0 Kudos
RTasa
New Contributor I

There is a buy button now. I keep pushing but it has not shown up as an item to purchase.

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Yes, the Documentation link also does not yet show the SDK 2.0 documentation, as the newest doc update is July 28. The store and doc pages have not yet caught up with the updates on the camera tech spec page.

0 Kudos
RTasa
New Contributor I

I am starting to believe that released in October meant October 31st.

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

If that were the case, one would have to question whether you were going to get a trick or a treat on that date.

In seriousness though, I completely understand what you mean, as there are tests and experiments that I want to run with the D-cameras myself but can't.

0 Kudos
RTasa
New Contributor I

D435 trick or Treat it is I guess.

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Still 3 full days to spare, so they could surprise you yet. At least the documentation page that the D-camera info site links to received an update today (see the mobile robot article).

0 Kudos
RTasa
New Contributor I

I guess October was a Trick no Treat

0 Kudos
RTasa
New Contributor I

Anyone heard any word about the D435 camera release date?

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

There is not a known release date at present. It is just a general "Coming Soon", which will apparently be followed by a pre-order phase on the Click store. So release for sale is unlikely to now be imminent, unfortunately.

0 Kudos
RTasa
New Contributor I

End of November now wonder what the hold up is. Ahh well maybe end of December.

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Since the cameras seem to be in ready-to-release state, I would imagine that there may be some kind of logistics issue such as a production delay at the factory (e.g waiting for parts from suppliers or making another product on the production line). A similar release delay happened to the original RealSense F200 camera in 2014 due to a factory-related issue. That is just personal speculation though, since there's not an official statement.

0 Kudos