Items with no label
3335 Discussions

How to list people tracking app for RealSense R200 in App Showcase?

RMazz3
Beginner

At www.enliteon.com we have just released a people tracking/counting portable application supporting RealSense R200 or the Robotic Kit. What would be the procedure to have it listed in the REALSENSE app showcase?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

This Showcase page has a 'Submit Your App' button at the top of the page. It takes you to a form where you can fill in details about your project and submit it,.

https://software.intel.com/en-us/realsense/shareyourapps RealSense - Share Your Apps | Intel® Software

0 Kudos
RMazz3
Beginner

Thanks. The submission page asks for a "Windows project title". Our app is now working on Linux.

Shall we go ahead ignoring the Windows limitation?

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

The majority of the RealSense applications on the App Showcase seem to date to 2014, when there wasn't a Linux implementation of RealSense via Librealsense. So it is not surprising that there is not a Linux option on the form. Librealsense is also not provided official support by Intel, though they support it informally.

To be honest, I don't think that many people would see your app on the Showcase page, given that its peak viewing was probably a couple of years ago in the wake of the RealSense App Challenge contest a couple of years ago. So it would not be a huge loss if you could not register your Linux app there. You might find greater success if you distribute it on a mass audience platform such as Steam, which is not just for games any more and also supports the listing of serious applications in the Linux format. There are already RealSense-compatible applications distributed on there, such as the face control app Facerig.

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/selling-your-intel-realsense-apps Selling your Intel® RealSense™ Apps | Intel® Software

0 Kudos
RMazz3
Beginner

Thanks, Marty, for your comprehensive response.

I appreciate your advice, but our application targets businesses while a platform like Steam is targeting consumers.

I was looking for a way to inform the RealSense deveopers who are using it for retail intelligence or access control applications of a ready to use middleware enabling RealSense to perform tasks that today require much more costly and less performant devices.

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

There's the Ubuntu App Directory.

https://apps.ubuntu.com/cat/ Ubuntu Apps Directory

Other than that, the best way to control the presentation of your app's distribution may be to put information and download links for it on your own website.

Speaking of retail, are you aware that Intel is significantly increasing its presence in retail tech via the Responsive Retail Platform? This strategy includes a RealSense-equipped robot by the company Simbe Robotics called Tally.

https://newsroom.intel.com/news/intel-unveils-new-intel-responsive-retail-platform-plans-100-million-investment-nrf-2017/ Intel Unveils New Intel Responsive Retail Platform and Plans for $100 Million Investment at NRF 2017 | Intel Newsroom

0 Kudos
RMazz3
Beginner

Yes, I have been at NRF and learnt of this initiative from the media.

As a matter of fact, ENLITEON core would perfectly fit in the Responsive Retail Platform.

Our product uses the RealSense robotic kit as-is for a hot retail application as people tracking is.

Then the question would become how can I inform the Retail Platform team of our application?

Thanks again for your prompt and proactive support.

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Getting the attention of Intel staff members outside of the support staff is really difficult. I tried for about a year to showcase my own advanced custom-designed RealSense gaming technologies to them through numerous different contacts and got completely blanked. I even emailed Intel's CEO directly as a last resort, though I was pretty sure that one would end up straight in the circular filing cabinet.

Large software companies typically create a firewall around their development teams, with them discouraged from engaging directly with end-users and instead relying on feedback sent to them by the community team so that they can focus their time primarily on developing instead of answering questions.

I suspect that the best chance is to create a professional promotional trailer video of your project, as there's a good chance that it may get picked up and promo'd by an Intel social media channel such as the Intel Developer Zone, drawing attention to it. A trailer is what I plan to do myself with my game.

https://www.facebook.com/IntelDeveloperZone/ Intel Developer Zone | Facebook

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Riccardo,

Thank you for developing such a cool application for RealSense. Marty G is correct as usual. I contacted the Intel folks in charge of the RealSense App Showcase and they confirmed that they are not currently listing new apps. Also, the RealSense App Showcase is more focused on apps for the SR300 peripheral than the R200. I recommend using some of Marty G's ideas to promote your RealSense application.

Best regards,

Jesus Garcia

Intel Customer Support
0 Kudos
RMazz3
Beginner

Thanks, Jesus.

I understand the RealSense App Showcase is not really the best way to go.

If you could ask your colleagues at the Responsive Retail Platform group I would appreciate.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Riccardo, your best bet is to pursue the recommendations from Marty Grove in the posts above. As a technical support group, we are limited in what we can do internally to help you market your app. I do not have relationships in the Responsive Retail Platform group that I can consult with. If you are having any technical issues with RealSense technology we are more than happy to help you in this forum.

Best regards,

Jesus

Intel Customer Support
0 Kudos