Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20499 Discussions

False multiple monitors with intel drivers

JMade4
Novice

I have an Asus UX501J that use Intel HD Graphics 4600. Usually I connect 2 extra monitors. Today I came back to my computer and all displays was in chaos. My main screen was in 4K duplicated with some other screen that do not exist. In total my driver is telling me I have 7 monitors. See my screen dump. No use to update the driver. This is the latest.

126 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello jmadeja,

Could you please let us know the driver version you are running? Please go to Device Manger> Display adapters> Intel(R) HD Graphics right click on Properties and then go to Driver, you will be able to see the version installed.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
JMade4
Novice

Hi Amy.

Check my screen shot. It says version 20.19.15.4549.

Regards

/Jack

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

So sorry, I focused on the control panel.

Let's try the following, uninstall the current version using these steps;

1. Open the Device Manager.
  2. Expand the Display Adapters section.
  3. Find the Intel Graphics Driver.
  4. Right click Intel Graphics Driver and select Uninstall.
  5. Select the check box Delete the driver software for this device.
  6. Reboot the computer after uninstall process has finished.
  7. Once done, install the following driver version; https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26347/Intel-Beta-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-and-Windows-7-8-1-15-40- Download Intel® Beta Graphics Driver for Windows® 10 and Windows 7*/8.1* [15.40]

Let me know how it goes.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

/thread/110642 jmadeja, if the issue persists after the installation of the driver mentioned above please provide your DxDiag report, you will find the instructions below. There is one more thing I would like to check; are currently using Hyper-V?

DxDiag Instructions:

Click on the "Start Menu" -> Type "DxDiag" -> Press "Enter" -> Wait for the DirectX Diagnostic Tool to finish loading.

In the DirectX Diagnostic Tool, click "Save All Information" -> Save the file DxDiag.txt

Include DxDiag.txt as an attachment, to attach a file, you must click "Use Advanced Editor" in the top right corner of the response box, then the "attach" option will appear in the bottom right corner of the response box.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
JMade4
Novice

Thanx. Here is my DxDiag.txt

0 Kudos
JMade4
Novice

I have tried do install this driver version but with no success.

After short installation I got the message that this is wrong driver for my computer or something like that. Unfortunately I was not able to read the whole message or copy it for you, as all my monitors went black couple seconds later. I waited for couple minutes, but nothing happened.

After force reboot of my computer I checked the driver – same as before vers: 20.19.15.4549 and my computer is still insisting that I have 7 monitors attached. 😄

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hello Jack,

I apologize for jumping in all of a sudden. I would like to get a better picture of this issue, so could you please answer the following questions for me?

While using driver 20.19.15.4549:

1. Can you configure your external monitor(s) using the Intel Graphics Control Panel?

- Is Extended display working?

- Is Clone display working?

2. How many monitors you see in the Intel Graphics Control Panel? (feel free to provide screen shots)

3. Do you have Hyper-V enabled?

- If Hyper-V is enabled, can you re-test by disabling it?

Many thanks for reporting this issue to us, you've been a tremendous help.

Kindest Regards,

0 Kudos
JMade4
Novice

Thank you for your response.

1) I do not have Intel Graphic Control Panel. I am configuring my monitors with Windows Display Settings. I have tried to install Intel Graphic Control Panel, but all I get is "The driver is now being installed is not validated for this computer. Obtain the correct driver from the computer manufacturer."

Extend display is working. You can see that on my screen shot on the top of this thread. I am extending my primary desktop 1 to 2 and 3 external monitors.

Clone display is also working, but I am don't use it.

2) I see 7 monitors in display settings. (Screen shot on the start of the thread.)

3) I turned off Hyper-V, and after restart all looks correct. Now I only have 3 monitors. So the problem must be some kind of new conflict between Hyper-V and Intel drivers. My Hyper-V was enabled for a year or so, but my problems started a week ago.

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hello Everyone,

I would like to let you know that the following issues show as fixed in our latest 15.40 [Haswell/Broadwell] internal build:

1. Multiple non-existing monitors show up when Hyper-V is enabled.

2. Graphics Control Panel is not available when Hyper-V is enabled.

We appreciate your patience while we post this new driver on DownloadCenter.intel.com.

I'll update this thread once the driver is officially released.

Kindest Regards,

0 Kudos
AGree10
Beginner

Any update on when the new driver will be released??

0 Kudos
SWall4
Beginner

I am also interested hearing when new driver will be released. I am experiencing this issue with Dell Latitude E6440 which has Intel HD Graphics 4600.

And I want to use Device Guard and Credential Guard so I am really in need of the virtualization so switching it off is not an option.
0 Kudos
GLilj
Beginner

I can add that I have the same problem. On an Asus UX501 here too. Display Settings lists monitors 1|2, 5, 6 and 7 (I have two monitors attached to my laptop, so it should be 1,2,3). Disabling Hyper-V (by stopping and disabling the service) did not help. I had to perform a system restore. Sad.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I'm also interested in when an official update will be released. It's been over a month since the last post from Intel to this thread? Any ETA? Also, I'm curious why the new driver version number is jumping back from 20.19.15.x to 15.40.x.x (if I'm reading the above correctly). If the new-and-improved driver has a lower version number how do we keep Microsoft from repeatedly installing the defective version over it?

0 Kudos
JSanc22
New Contributor I

Yes, it has been a long time since the problem was found, they also said that the problem was solved with the internal drivers, that it was just a matter of time for the driver to be released.......but there haven't been news about it.

Also I'm surprised that they released a new driver (in January) for the 4th generation of the intel processors for windows 7 and 8.1, but not for windows 10.

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hello Everyone,

Great timing on your part! We just posted a new 15.40 test driver that should fix this issue.

Details can be found here:

Please give this one a shot and let us know your feedback.

By the way, we apologize for the delay in getting this one out.

Kindest Regards,

0 Kudos
JSanc22
New Contributor I

Hi Ronald, thank you very much for posting the new driver.

Unfortunately, this driver didn't solve the problem of multiple screens when virtualization is enabled, also with the graphics control panel doesn't showing up, in my computer.

Hope this information could help you.

Regards,

Julio

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

It doesn't let me install it properly, even when I try uninstalling the previous driver in the same boot.

0 Kudos
JTroy1
Beginner

My results the same as Julio - still have phantom monitors and I cannot open the Intel HD Graphics control panel. Executing GfxUIex.exe, Gfxv2_0.exe or Gfxv4_0.exe results in nothing. Also tried "as administrator". No errors, just looks like it will run but get nothing.

Windows 10 Pro

Dell M3800

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hello Everyone,

Thank you for your feedback! Could you please upload your DxDiag.txt results after the new test driver has been installed?

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000022556.html How to Extract Information from the DirectX* Diagnostic Tool

I just need one or two examples.

Kindest Regards,

0 Kudos
JSanc22
New Contributor I

Here are my results.

0 Kudos