Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14400 Discussions

Thermal sensor issue i7-7700k?

CK7
Beginner

I have a brand new build; EVERYTHING NEW. i7-7700k is running at stock speeds. I have the RAM set to XMP for DDR4-2666. Motherboard is Asus Maximus IX Hero Z270.

I have found that the i7-7700k reports a momentary (a second or less) temperature spike +25 > 35 degrees Celsius anytime a program is opened, a webpage is opened, a background app runs etc. The temperature blip cascades through the cores in random order; not the same every time. This causes my heatsink fan to constantly cycle up and down. Temperatures otherwise report as steady, normal increases. Peak temperature under Prime95 blend test is 71 degrees Celsius.

Attempted solutions:

I have re-installed my heatsink and thermal paste with no change.

I have tried to manually set my fan speed in the bios. The only setting that avoids this issue is setting the temperature / fan at a constant (and loud) 80-100%. I've tried PWM and DC mode.

I have found a few user reports elsewhere on the web, all reasoning that it's just the way it is. I don't accept that. Opening a folder or browser should not spike temps +30 degrees. Not only is the fan cycling annoying, it puts undue stress on my fan; possibly shortening its lifespan.

What's the answer, if any? RMA?

1 Solution
RonaldM_Intel

Hello Everyone,

We appreciate the feedback you have provided, and your patience as we investigated this behavior. The reported behavior of the 7th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-7700K Processor, showing momentary temperature changes from the idle temperature, is normal while completing a task (like opening a browser or an application or a program).

In our internal investigation, we did not observe temperature variation outside of the expected behavior and recommended specifications. For processor specifications, please refer to the https://ark.intel.com/products/97129/Intel-Core-i7-7700K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_50-GHz Intel® Core™ i7-7700K Processor Product Specifications.

Most motherboard manufacturers offer customizable fan speed control settings that may allow for smoother transition of fan revolutions per minute (rpm). Please consult your motherboard manufacturer's manual or website for instructions on how to change default fan speed control settings.

We do not recommend running outside the processor specifications, such as by exceeding processor frequency or voltage specifications, or removing of the integrated heat spreader (sometimes called "de-lidding"). These actions will void the processor warranty.

Kindest Regards,

Ronald M.

View solution in original post

1,110 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello BC93Key:

In regard to your inquiry, we do have a tool that is called Intel® Processor Diagnostics Tool, please run that tool and let us know the results, it does an overall test on the processor including a temperature test, so if it passed the test it should be fine:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

Now, when you open an application web page or a program for the temperature to increase is expected, there is no specific measure stating how much it will increase or decrease, that will depend on the programs running.

Now, the processor i7-7700K supports DDR4-2133/2400, DDR3L-1333/1600 @ 1.35V, if you are using XMP at 2666MHz that is higher than what the processor supports, and since the memory controller is located on the processor that might cause for the processor to get overheated and not to function properly.

Do you have the option to use a different processor with your board, or to use your processor on a different board?

Besides the fan that came with the processor, are you using another cooling solution inside the case?

Please let me know the results of running the tool.

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards

Alberto

0 Kudos
CK7
Beginner

I ran the Intel Diagnostic Tool before posting here, but I ran it again. The processor passes those tests.

I can leave the system idle and whenever a background process runs the cpu fans will spin up.

I have plenty of fans and good airflow: the case has 2 intake and one exhaust fan and I have 2 fans on the cpu heatsink- noctua nh-d15.

I have changed motherboard settings to defaults, RAM to DDR-2133. It did not make a difference. The RAM runs @1.2v at either DDR-2133 or DDR-2666.

I can't afford to go buy another motherboard or processor to test right now, so I have no option at the moment.

The individual core temps jump an immediate 25 degrees (up to 31 degrees) for minimal stress for 1 second. This causes the heatsink fan to constantly cycle up and down. It is "working", but in my opinion it is not working properly. The temperature sensor is spiking and sending a signal to the motherboard to increase fan speed. Unless I set my fan speed to 80% constant or above I have a cpu fan constantly cylcing up and down.

So, my example would be as follows:

Web browser is open to a web page with an embedded video. Temperature is idling at 30 Celsius.

Click to play 3 minute embedded video. On the click - temperature spikes to 60 Celsius for ONE second and my cpu fan increases speed.

Temperature immediately (before fans have spun up entirely) returns to 32 Celsius for the remainder of the 3 minute video

This means the temperature for all but ONE second of the video was 32 Celsius. About 5 seconds after increasing speed, my fans return to normal idle speed.

That to me is not normal behavior. I have had numerous Intel processors over the years and I've never had this behavior. While different cores might have had temperature differences, the temperatures weren't bouncing all over the place. There was a normal rate of temperature increase.

I feel that you will undoubtedly say that this is within spec and proper behavior, so I'm done trying to figure it out. Between trying to troubleshoot this and 'bleeping' Windows 10, I'm tempted to get rid of everything. Maybe the reason Windows 10 is giving me trouble is this processor.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello BC93Key:

Thank you very much for letting us know that information and for explaining and sharing more details about the problem the processor is having.

Based on that information, you are right, that is not a normal behavior and the temperature should not spike like that.

This could be a problem with the fan itself, do you have the option to use another processor's fan?

Since you do not have the option to use your board with a different processor or use your processor on a different board, remember that the processor has 3 years of warranty with Intel® so we can replace it for you, or also since you just purchased it, you can always get in contact with the place of purchase, that will be the fastest way, to verify with them if they can do that for you.

Please let me know if you interested in replacing the processor.

Additionally, the problem could also be related to the board, so you can also get in contact with ASUS to verify if their warranty policy and options.

ASUS's phone number: 1-877-339-2787

ASUS's support site: https://www.asus.com/us/support/ https://www.asus.com/us/support/

Regards

Alberto

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello BC93Key, ZeoxZariX, Elmotje:

Thank you very much to all the peers for sharing those details on this thread.

In this case, we will start an investigation on this matter in order to try to find a possible solution for this problem.

To:

Please install the SSU tool (System Support Utility):

You will be able to download it on the following link:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

Once you do that, the tool will allow you to save the information as a file, so, once you save it, please also attach it to this thread, in order for us to see it.

As soon as I get that file from all the peers, we will start the investigation.

Regards

Alberto

0 Kudos
AElib
Novice

i7 7700K temp spike issue

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello:

Thank you very much to Elmotje for providing that file.

To BC93Key:

At this point, I just wanted to let you know that we are just waiting for you to be able to provide the SSU file.

Please let me know if you need more time to provide that file, so we can wait for you.

This is in order for us to proceed with the investigation.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards

Alberto

0 Kudos
MSpan
Beginner

Here is my system report using the software you mentioned. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
MGigu
Beginner

Exact same issue here.

MSI X270 SLI Plus

i7 7700k

Noctua D15S

Windows 10

MSI GTX 1060

0 Kudos
SJura
Beginner

Also experiencing this issue.

Thought the problem was my AIO cooler, fans constantly spinning up and down for seconds at a time. Really, really annoying. Please fix this, Intel.

System specs:

i7-7700K

ASUS ROG 270i Strix

Corsair LPX 3000 DDR4

Fractal Design Kelvin S24

0 Kudos
GFabi2
Beginner

I'd like to report temperature issues as well. Launching Firefox or loading a web page causes 35 °C raise from 40 °C idle to 70-75 °C in about 1 second or less then just before the cooler could even spin up it goes back to idle temperature. I really don't find this acceptable. Not with top of the line Kaby Lake processor costing $340+. You could blame the bad airflow in the case, the cooler, the thermal paste or bad mounting. But when so many people with so many different setups report the same issue then there's something wrong. Maybe a mass recall and fix the damn issue?

On light overclock to 4.7 GHz @ 1.245 V (drops to 1.232 V under load with adaptive voltage and LLC level 5 in ASUS UEFI) and memory running on 3000 MHz @ 1.2 V (possible with optimized timings) my temperatures are at 80 °C at best under load and usually at 85 °C. With memory running at 2133 MHz the temperatures drop about 5 °C but that is still pretty high.

Anyways, here's my report attached. Using an Arctic Freezer i32 with recommended for TDP up to 150 Watts and max cooling capacity of 320 Watts. Thermal compound is Arctic MX-4. Case is Fractal Design Define C with both included fans mounted as intake in the front.

0 Kudos
TGrab1
New Contributor III

dirtyred wrote:

I'd like to report temperature issues as well. Launching Firefox or loading a web page causes 35 °C raise from 40 °C idle to 70-75 °C in about 1 second or less then just before the cooler could even spin up it goes back to idle temperature. I really don't find this acceptable. Not with top of the line Kaby Lake processor costing $340+. You could blame the bad airflow in the case, the cooler, the thermal paste or bad mounting. But when so many people with so many different setups report the same issue then there's something wrong. Maybe a mass recall and fix the damn issue?

On light overclock to 4.7 GHz @ 1.245 V (drops to 1.232 V under load with adaptive voltage and LLC level 5 in ASUS UEFI) and memory running on 3000 MHz @ 1.2 V (possible with optimized timings) my temperatures are at 80 °C at best under load and usually at 85 °C. With memory running at 2133 MHz the temperatures drop about 5 °C but that is still pretty high.

Anyways, here's my report attached. Using an Arctic Freezer i32 with recommended for TDP up to 150 Watts and max cooling capacity of 320 Watts. Thermal compound is Arctic MX-4. Case is Fractal Design Define C with both included fans mounted as intake in the front.

Are the only case fans you have the 2 that are on intake?

IF so that could be part of your problem. Yes with positive airflow in your case it will push some out on it's own, but you are just making the warm air swirl around in your pc without a good way to escape. You should try to get at learn 1 exhaust fan for the top or back or preferably both. This will allow for more flow through the case without a chance to sit and swirl around increase the temp inside your case more so than it should. Your cpu cooler might be up to the challenge, but it can only bring the temps within a range (Delta T) of your ambient. So if your case ambient is slowly rising because it does not exhaust fast enough that will have a big effect on the efficiency of your cpu cooler. If you are getting good flow then the cool air is coming in more quickly and the heat is being exhausted more quickly as well which will bring your ambient case temp down thus making your cooler more effective.

Just some food for though.

Also you have to understand while this is an issue that probably affects most people it is also an issue that varies from person to person in severity. The spikes will happen on almost any CPU because of how different pc states work. Also as much as I hate to say this we are also the vocal minority. Many people buy these chips and very few of them have ever complained about it. Even in this thread we see lots of posts from the same people and we are only on what page 22? So we are just a drop in the bucket to the amount of people who own these chips and are noticing anything.

Brand names shipping with these are no doubt optimized to have a decent fan profile and voltage curve to control sound and temps. From my looking around here all of the people in this thread are custom pc builders or purchasers. So yes motherboard auto settings are no always best and I can't say I've used auto on any of my cpu's in the last 10 years or so. So that is another thing to consider. How many of the temps in 75+ range could be resolved my a simple cpu cooler or bios voltage tweak?

We are in the day that a pc builder has to actually dive in to the bios some times to make sure things are setup as they should be on multiple levels. I actually just finished throwing together a budget build for a friend last night. He used a 7500 with an Asrock motherboard, h212 evo , 650 corsair psu, 1050ti, 1tb HHD, 256 pny ssd and last 8 gigs of ddr4 3000.

I as usual got him all up and running on windows 10, grabbed all the windows updates and then proceeded to check temps. I immediately noticed that even the 7500 saw the spikes, but luckily the temps were much better. Then after I tweaked the voltage (his was asking for 1.28 at stock clocks) The overall temps dropped another 5-6C.

0 Kudos
GFabi2
Beginner

I've spent about 2 hours just to optimize airflow in the case by placing the fans in different positions and playing with their rpm curve in SpeedFan. Originally had 1 intake and 1 exhaust fan but the temperatures were not much different, maybe a couple degrees but that depends on too many factors. The reason I've put the exhaust fan in the front as intake is to drop the temperatures on the GPU as well as it wasn't getting enough air and was pulling in from the back of the case. The case fans have the same CFM (52-53) as the CPU fan so now I should have roughly 70-80 CFM intake (100 minus what's blocked by the dust filter) so a healty positive pressure with pressure optimized fans. Reapplied the thermal paste several times with different little amounts, applied different mounting pressure to the cooler but absolutely no improvements. This Arctic Freezer i32 according to reviews is just a tiny bit better than the 212 Evo so it should be enough for minor overclocking. Or maybe my chip is just not good quality.

"It turns out that MSI has assessed 30 more retail Core i7-7700Ks. For each of them, the company found the minimum voltage necessary for stable operation under a given workload at a specific frequency. Thirty CPUs might not be a huge number, but it still yields a good idea of how much individual samples vary in quality.

The curve tells us that the Core i7-7700K in our German lab falls toward the bottom of the distribution. Both the voltages and the maximum frequency of "only" 5 GHz are the same as the ones on the bottom of the curve. This explains why that particular processor didn't do so well under Intel's Power Thermal Utility: its quality is just too low, necessitating a voltage increase that's too high to allow for sufficient cooling." (source: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-kaby-lake-core-i7-7700k-i7-7700-i5-7600k-i5-7600,4870-12.html http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-kaby-lake-core-i7-7700k-i7-7700-i5-7600k-i5-7600,4870-12.html)

Right now I'm running on 4.7 GHz with 1.22 Vcore which isn't high at all and it's on the edge of stability. Temperatures as still spiking from idle 37-40 degrees to 60-65 degrees when web browsing, even when all fans are set manually to 100%.

My conclusion is the CPU can't dissipate the heat fast enough to the lid because bad TIM was used. There's a reason some overclockers chose to delid their CPU and apply better thermal compound. They all report 10-20 degrees drop in their load temperatures (obviously idle is not that impressive as it can't go below the ambient).

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

When you say that your CPU is only marginally stable at 4.7GHz at 1.22v, I assume you mean that Prime95 small FFT (version 26.5) fails on some worker threads after a while? 1.22v is very low ... why not increase the voltage until you get a stable system (you may only need to go up 20-30mV)? And what temperatures are you seeing with Prime95 stable after 10-15 minutes?

It sound to me that your CPU should be able to run at 4.8GHz at 1.27/1.28 and 4.9GHz at perhaps 1.29 or 1.3, which wouldn't be too bad. But it would be interesting to see what the 100% load temperatures are at those speeds.

Just in case you missed this on the topic, the latest versions of Prime95 will run AVX instructions unless you set the appropriate flags in the Local.txt file, and this will make your CPU run much hotter. The problem with these versions of Prime95 is that even if you disable AVX, the BIOS will still see the software as being AVX-enabled, and so if you set an AVX offset it will automatically be applied. So it's better to run an older version like version 26.5, then you can run the latest version with the AVX offset on to test that the system is still stable with AVX testing.

Cheers

Robert

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Amazing isn't it: us end users who are running Prime95 are discovering problems with the i7 which Intel have missed!

Intel, please use Prime95 Small FFT's test as part of your quality control, don't leave it up to end users to discover these problems and have to report them back to you - or at least use a stronger test method to torture test every part of the CPU under maximum load. Even better, perform similar torture tests with your chipsets and other products. We paid lots of money for these products, the least you can do Intel is to test them properly at the factory. Also, please work with the motherboard makers to ensure that the default BIOS settings do not overvolt your processors!

0 Kudos
LRibe2
Novice

Hi guys.

I decided to write a (maybe) final post describing my CPU configuration just in case that it can help some users.

At this time I'm able to run Prime95 small FFT for one hour with no issues and temperatures under 75C. No crashs and no "workers failures".

Spike temperatures still remain but not so crazy. But has I wrote before, There are a lot of CPUs with high speed frequencies that react the same way to core voltages. I insiste that this may not be an issue but simply the way it works with such high vcore and freqs.

HW:

CPU: i7 7700k - OC 4.7Ghz

Motherboard: Asus Prime Z270M

Cooler: Cooler master Hyper evo 212

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1060 WF OC

Case: Bitefenix Prodigy M (mATX)

5 Fans + 1 CPU fan: 2 in / 3 out

CPU setup:

Bclck:100.00

CPUID SVID: Disabled

Vcore: 1.235 (1.248 max reading)

PLL voltage: 0.900

System agente voltage: 1.05

PCH voltage: 1.00

Line calibration (Vdroop): Level 2

EPU: Performance

Asus multicore enhacement: Disabled

Intel speedstep: Disabled

Dram freq: 2400Mhz

Dram Voltage: 1.200

IMPORTANT: AVX negative offset: 2 - This will affect temperatures on hard stress tests like prime95 or intel burn test. I Keep it on stock values but in some cases it should even be lower.

Funny thing that I've discovered two days ago. My brother has a Sandy bridge I7 2600 (Non K). This CPU only reaches 71C running the last version of prime95 but... The readings show that this CPUs have a setup with an AVX negative offset of 3 because the freq only reaches 3500 Mhz while running this test. So, this tells us that even if sandy bridge runs cooler, if it didn't have this offset it would fry just like any other newer gen CPU's without the offset.

Temperature reading examples:

Idle: (ambient temperatures have rise this last few days) Ambient / room temperature: 22 to 25C - Idle: 29/31C A few weeks ago Idle was between 22/25C.

Gaming: BF1, Assetto Corsa, Fifa 2017 : Under 60C. BF1 goes up to 63C and goes up to 100% CPU core usage.

Stress testing: Prime 95: 1 Hour Small FFT - No fails, no crashs - 75C Max core temp

Intel Burn Test: Pass,no fails - 73C

Ainda64, asus realbench: Under 70C

So, has you can see, I still have some headroom to OC the CPU to higher clocks but I have to have in ind the AVX offset so that temperatures while running this instructions are kept this way.

Hope this can help someone.

Cheers

Luís

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Luis,

Could you explain why you have used these setting please? For example, why PLL at 0.9 and System Agent at 1.05.

Thanks

Robert

0 Kudos
LRibe2
Novice

Sure.

in my case those are the standard values presented on bios. Compared to the auto settings this values keep temperatures a bit lower.

0 Kudos
JZaik
Beginner

Hello, I got same problem.

Temps on my I7 7700K spikes 30°C, going from ~35°C to ~65°C in just a second, then return to previous temperature.

Let me know about any solution or ongoing investigation ASAP.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
athom101
Beginner

my i7 7700 also spikes when doing small chores

0 Kudos
ASušt
New Contributor I

I guess, there is no more point in posting any test results for intel.

They said their final word.

0 Kudos