Items with no label
3335 Discussions

R200 USB 3.0 cable usb 3.0 superseed does not work

mzio
Novice

I have bought a R200 Real sense and I found the cable is too short to scan anything. I stretched the cable using this :

http://www.ebay.it/itm/Cavo-da-1a-5m-USB-3-0-Tipo-SuperSpeed-Maschio-Femmina-Prolunga-Dati-PC-HARD-DISK-/262400348986?var=&hash=item3d1847933a:m:m0dQE4MTqkQIRlTnpEQotYw Cavo da 1a 5m USB 3.0 Tipo SuperSpeed Maschio/Femmina Prolunga Dati PC HARD DISK | eBay

As soon as I have attached it the computer contains nothing under Imaging Devices in Device Manager and the R200 real sense works fine only if it uses the original cable.

Is it a normal behaviour ? Why ? thanks.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

RealSense cameras usually do not work well, or at all, with USB extension cables. It is apparently, according to Intel staffer David Lu, because the camera uses almost all the transmission bandwidth of the original USB 3.0 cable. I was involved in a long forum discussion about it almost exactly a year ago today with someone who wanted to mount their camera on a rotating stand to do 3D scanning and needed a longer cable because the camera was getting pulled off the stand as it rotated.

I'll post a link to that discussion, as it may provide you with some alternative options if an extension cable isn't viable. In it, I suggested using a mini-PC called an Intel Compute Stick on the stand and attaching the RealSense camera to that so that an extension cable was not necessary in order for the camera to reach where it needed to be positioned.

I also suggested streaming the camera data wirelessly over an internet connection from one machine to another. If I remember correctly, the resolution of the camera data that can be sent over the web is quite low though, so that is not an ideal option.

https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/realsense/topic/607341 Intel realsense r200 peripherals

If an extension cable is your ideal and only option, consensus seemed to be the shorter and better quality the cable, the better. One person had success with a 1m cable but found that a 2m cable was unreliable. Others trying a 2m cable also experienced failure.

Edit: I remembered a conversation I had recently on this forum where I discussed with someone the potential for increasing perception range by putting over the camera lens an attachable camera zoom lens like those available for smartphones in order to trick the camera into thinking it is closer to the target object than it actually is. We never reached a conclusion about whether it would actually work for sure, but I thought I'd throw that idea into the mix.

0 Kudos
mzio
Novice

In my situation,it's not useful to stream the data over the internet connection because I have to attach the R200 cable behind the tower because the USB front ports aren't 3.0. And the tower is positioned on the left of my feet. So,everytime that I need to scan my face I need to stoop myself at the level of my feet. It's very uncomfortable.

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

I added an edit to the bottom of my original message.

I wonder if one solution might be to turn your tower side-on so that the back of it faces towards your feet, so that the cable can reach your desktop, and then put the camera on top of the desk in front of your face. Though pictures typically depict RealSense as hanging over the top of the monitor, I permanently have mine on the desk in front of the monitor at chest height and it scans the face fine.

0 Kudos
mzio
Novice

The cable is on the wrong side of the tower ; the cable is too short ; i can't put the tower on top of something because the r200 will not reach anyway my face. The only solution could be to use the 1 meter usb cable adjustment...

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Yes, your options do seem to be limited to a 1m cable, sadly if the PC must be on the floor. At least that size of cable is inexpensive. Good luck!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Mario,

Thanks for your interest in the Intel® RealSense Technology.

The USB cable shipped with the Intel RealSense camera has been tested and rated specifically for that camera and as MartyG has mentioned, using another USB cable usually do not work well or not at all.

We don't recommend this, however, some users that have experimented connectivity issues have had success using and external USB3 powered hub rather than the PC's ports. Maybe you can try it too, nevertheless, keep in mind that it could not work.

Regards,

-Yermi

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Thanks Yermi - a USB mains hub had occurred to me too, though I was hesitant to mention it because I couldn't remember whether they made the signal more stable over a longer distance, rather than just helping to solve issues related to insufficient USB power.

0 Kudos
mzio
Novice

how the external USB3 powered hub help me ?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Mario,

You could use a USB3 power hub with a longer USB cable (maybe 1m cable) or use active repeater cables in order to extend the length, however, I have not tested it, so you could try and share your results in the community, it will help other users.

Again, at first we don't recommend to use things like hubs or different USB cables, however, these suggestions are based on other users experience with their cameras. So keep in mind that this may or may not work.

Regards,

-Yermi

0 Kudos
mzio
Novice

Hello. I found this :

http://www.ebay.it/itm/Cavo-Prolunga-USB-3-0-Tipo-A-maschio-femmina-1-Metro-/290886225390?hash=item43ba2b8dee:g:oDUAAOSwQItT4ni5 Cavo Prolunga USB 3.0 Tipo A maschio / femmina - 1 Metro | eBay

and it worked perfectly,at least with this service :

http://itseez3d.com/ Mobile 3D Scanner App for iPad | itSeez3D

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Thanks for the information, Mario!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Mario,

We're glad to know that the new USB cable is working for you. Also, if you have any other question in the future, please let us know.

Regards,

-Yermi A.

0 Kudos
ACarp1
Beginner

Hi bought this usb 3.0 cable ( UGREEN mod 10373 2mt high quality cable) and

it's work with my Sr300.

Regards

Angelo

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Thanks for the information, Angelo! Whilst 1m is usually the safe maximum length for an extension cable to be used with the camera and I wouldn't recommend buying one longer than that, the quality of the cable is a factor in how well it works. I'm glad you got lucky with your high quality 2m one.

0 Kudos
SRobi5
Beginner

The power requirement for infra-red transmitters are usually at the limit of what a single usb port offers. You'll need a Y-cable if you need anything over 1m. I got mine to work using https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016Q10DEO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Amazon.com: iConnect World™ Dual A to Micro-B USB 3.0 Y Cable 2 Meter, Black: Computers & Accessories

0 Kudos