Items with no label
3335 Discussions

IntelRealSense SR300 not working ("device disconnected", "device failed due to malfunctioning")

XGuel
Novice

Dear Sir or Madam,

I bought an IntelRealSense SR300 camera. It seems like the camera does not work. These are several issues I have had:

• - When using the camera explorer, the following message appeared: device failed due to malfunctioning
  • - Except for the camera viewer, none of the other samples works. For example, "hand cursor viewer" shows the message "stopped" one second after starting the camera. "Hands viewer" shows the message "device disconnected" (this happens after a green light flashes in the camera for only one second)

Is there any solution?

This is the computer and system I am using: Windows 10 Pro. IntelCore i7-6600U CPU 2.60GHz 2.81Ghz. RAM 16GB.

10 Replies
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

The 6600U is a Skylake architecture processor, so there is no problem with that chip being used with the SR-300. You are also correctly using Windows 10 with the camera.

Have you installed the Depth Camera Manager program, which includes within it the drivers for the camera?

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25044/Intel-RealSense-Depth-Camera-Manager Download Intel® RealSense™ Depth Camera Manager

0 Kudos
XGuel
Novice

Dear MartyG,

Thank you for the reply. Yes, I have installed the Depth Camera Manager program (as well as the "SDK essentials" and the hand movement programs).

I have tried to uninstall and install again all programs and to restart the computer, but the problem is still the same.

Does this mean that there is a problem with the camera? I am surprised that the "camera viewer" works, but that all other tools and samples do not work.

Xavier.

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Could you go back to the SDK download page please, and this time install the 'Cursor Mode' module please and then try the cursor sample again?

SDK R3 is very different from previous RealSense SDKs, as it is split into modules, with functions such as cursors and hand / face tracking now being separate optional modules that need to be installed in addition to Essentials so that you can use those features.

0 Kudos
XGuel
Novice

Dear MatryG,

Thank you again for your reply. I have installed all the other available programs (3D scan, cursor, background segmentation, face tracking) and restarted the computer. The problem still persists. I have tried multiple samples and none of them works, except for the "camera viewer" and the "raw streams".

Is there any solution?

Thank you very much,

Xavier.
0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

It sounds as though the basic camera drivers are working but the higher RealSense functions are not, and the PC is basically treating the camera like an ordinary webcam.

Looking again at the details of your processor, it is listed as a mobile processor. Is your PC a laptop? What manufacturer and model is it please?

0 Kudos
XGuel
Novice

It is a Microsoft Surface Book. Would you need to know more details about the exact model?

Thank you,

Xavier.

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Any further details you can provide about your Surface Book are welcome.

It is not the first time I have heard about problems with RealSense on Surface Books. Lately, most Surface machine problems I have seen have been related to use of Windows Insider Preview builds of Windows, where RealSense and the Windows Hello login have not been working in recent weeks. Do you have an Insider preview version of Windows on your Surface Book, or just the ordinary non test-version Windows?

Aside from that, some people have found that RealSense works better on the old Surface Pro models than the recent Surface Book. One person suggested "For whatever reason, I've found that plugging the SR300 into my Surface Pro 3 with its i7-4650 CPUs seems to work out better than plugging it into my Surface Book with its much newer CPUs and I suspect it's something to do with the 2 USB ports on the Surface Book acting as some kind of 'hub' which the RealSense doesn't like."

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Continuing the look today at your Surface Book problem ... another user said: "About 90% of the time the green camera light comes on and then goes off. About 10% of the time the green camera light comes on, stays on and the camera works with the app I wonder whether the USB configuration of the Surface Book is quite different from the Surface Pro 3 given that it has 2 x USB slots rather than 1 x USB slot and maybe there's some kind of internal hub in the device?"

Another user said "Tried to run the app "Raw Streams" and it recognized both RGB and Deph cameras, but it is only able to display a color stream. When I tried with the Camera Viewer it failed setting the depth stream."

A couple of other Surface Book users fixed their camera problem by disabling Windows 10's 'Fast Startup' mode.

http://www.howtogeek.com/243901/the-pros-and-cons-of-windows-10s-fast-startup-mode/ The Pros and Cons of Windows 10's "Fast Startup" Mode

Somebody else solved their problem by disabling the built-in internal camera in the Windows Device Manager. Unlike older Surface Pro computers, Surface Book does not have a built-in RealSense camera, because Microsoft couldn't get the Book's case to be as thin as they wanted it to be if they put a RealSense in. Instead, they use a different camera that, like RealSense, is compatible with Windows Hello login. So there is the potential there for a conflict between the non-RealSense internal camera and the RealSense one you have plugged in.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/microsoft-surface-book-intel-realsense-camera-explained Exclusive: Microsoft finally reveals why Surface Book is missing Intel RealSense

So there are two things to try there.

1. Turn off Fast Startup mode in Windows 10.

2. Disable the Book's internal camera in the Windows 10 Device Manager.

Disabling the internal camera may not be ideal though if you carry your book around with you and you use Windows Hello face recognition to log in to your Book, as you would no longer be able to log in with the internal camera and would have to carry the external RealSense camera around with you to be able to log in!

Let us know please if it still is not working after trying those approaches. Thanks!

0 Kudos
XGuel
Novice

Dear Marty,

Thank you very much for all your help. I have turned off the fast startup mode and also disabled all the cameras in window's system devices. The problem still persists. However, I might be able to do what I wanted with the camera by using the Raw streams sample (which seems to be working fine).

Thank you,

Xavier.

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

You're very welcome, Xavier. It'd be a great pity if you can't get the camera to function to its full potential on your Surface Book, though I'm glad that you at least have the raw streams capability.

0 Kudos