Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Laptop with AC-8260 card crashes wifi network when connected.

idata
Employee

Hi, I have a Lenovo Flex 4-1470 that is running windows 10 and has an Intel AC-8260 wireless card. I am having problems whenever I try to connect to a specific wifi network. I can connect to my home network just fine but when I connect to the network at work I shut down the entire network (it has probably around 5 or 6 access points). The strange thing is that this problem with the work network just started a month ago, before that I was able to connect to the network just fine. I have tried a bunch of stuff including reinstalling the network card driver. Also, I didn't make any changes to the laptop around the time the problem started. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello agolz12,

We understand you are having issues with your Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260, as it causes problems when you connect to the network at your work.

Here are some important things for your consideration:

- Make sure you are using the recommended drivers from http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/ Lenovo* Support as first option. If not, we can provide instructions to use our generic driver version.

- You might want to check with the IT admins at work, to see if they have any special requirements or recommendations about this as well. Since the adapter works fine in other networks, the issue may be caused by a change in this network.

- Have you checked if there have been any Windows* updates, or maybe a new application installed in the computer?

For further assistance, we will need some additional information:

- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility Download Intel® System Support Utility when connected to the network if possible, run the tool and use it to create a report with all sections, on the next screen, Save the report to a file. Then use the Advanced editor options to add the resulting XML file to your post as an attachment.

- Access points model and firmware version.

Regards,

Jonathan.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Sorry It took so long to respond.

-I have installed the latest windows updates and drivers.

-I spoke with the network administrators and they said they haven't changed anything with the network since it quit working.

-I haven't downloaded any new programs and I haven't made any changes to the laptop

-We do have different brands and models of access points, we have a Linksys EA6300, a Linksys WRT160N V3 and a few others. I don't have access to the firmware versions

-We did find that I am able to connect to the network using a wireless USB adapter plugged into my laptop, this makes me.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello agolz12,

We haven't seen any replies since our last message. Feel free to contact us if you require further assistance.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello agolz12,

Thanks for the new information. Checking the log, your PC was connected to a 5 GHz, 802.11ac network when you got the report. The WRT160N is a little old (2.4 GHz band, 802.11n).

Do you use the same SSID for the different types of access points?

Have you noticed if the problem happens with any type of access point, or only with some on them?

Does the problem occur right away, or after some time? maybe when the adapter roams?

You can try performing a clean installation of the driver, using the driver only, this may help with in some cases:

1. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26527 Download Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for IT Admins, 19.30.0.

Windows 10 64-bit: Wireless_19.30.0_Driver64_Win10.zip

2. Extract the contents of the zip file to a known location in your hard drive.

3. Go to Control Panel, Programs and Features and Uninstall "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software". When prompted, choose the option to "Discard settings".

4. In Control Panel, Device Manager, Network Adapters, right click on the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 and Uninstall it. Make sure you mark the option to "Delete the driver software for this device".

5. Reboot the PC or scan for hardware changes, check device manager and if an older wireless driver is detected and installed, repeat the actions to uninstall and delete it as well. Repeat this process until the OS does not allow deleting the driver, or until the controller shows as Unknown Device.

6. Remove temporary files: Press the Windows Key + R to open the run box. Type Cleanmgr.exe. Press OK. Select the main drive, usually C:\. Check Temporary Files and uncheck everything else. Press OK.

7. Go to Device Manager and locate the 8260 (it may be an unknown device), select the option to install the driver and browse to the location where you extracted the driver files.

If the issue persists, please go to Device Manager, here you can change some of the Advanced driver settings to improve connectivity with 802.11n networks:

802.11n Channel Width for 2.4GHz: 20 MHz only

HT Mode: HT Mode

Roaming Aggressiveness Lowest, or Medium-Low

Preferred Band: Prefer 5.2 GHz band

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks for the reply! I tried that stuff and it didn't work. I also tried to reset windows which also didn't work. I don't think the network is 5Ghz or AC, I'll try to do another report, that first one doesn't sound right.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello agolz12,

We will be waiting for the new report after applying the previous actions, and also for the information mentioned in our previous message.

Regards,

Jonathan.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello agolz12,

We haven't seen any updates for this thread. Please let us know if you require further assistance.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Johnthan, we ended up having our ISP change out our modem and main router, since then all of the problems have been solved. Thank you for your help!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello agolz12,

We are glad to know that the issue has been solved. The information from the logs was not very clear, however, it seems is was time for an upgrade in the network.

Regards,

Jonathan.
0 Kudos