Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

GMA 500 is not compatible with Windows 10. Is there a new driver available or under development?

ADagn
Beginner

've tried to upgrade my VAIO VPCP11SKX to Windows 10 and I've got a compatibility issue: The display manufacturer hasn't made your display compatible with Windows 10. Check with the manufacturer for support. Is there a new driver for Windows 10?

My VAIO is running Windows 7 SP1.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

The Intel(R) GMA 500 does not have support for Windows 10. Intel does not have plans to develop Windows 10 on your graphics controller.

I recommend checking the list of supported operating system for your graphics controller: http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-034343.htm Graphics Drivers — Supported Operating Systems

Allan.

MCupe
Beginner

Hi,

Just to clarify; Does that list mean that only the people with a Core processor will be able to run windows 10?

Michiel.

ADagn
Beginner

Allan thank you for answer. It is a bad news.

0 Kudos
SEllw
Beginner

Can I ask why Intel has decided not to support Windows 10 on the GMA 500? Is it for reasons of built in obsolescence?

My Laptop is currently running Windows 8.1 quite happily at native resolution. I cant see it being a big deal to write a compatibility driver to let Windows 10 install. If this was a car, there would be a recall and a retrofit. It is unacceptable. Intel is killing the planet making products with a lifetime of less than 5 years. Its not as if I can upgrade the laptop - it has no replaceable parts!

Why should I have to write off a perfectly good laptop because Intel don't want to spend the time to update its drivers? My poor machine is caught between a rock (Intel) and a hard place (Microsoft) one of which insists I cannot upgrade and the other of which insists I must. If its not economically viable for Intel to update its divers perhaps Intel can instead spend the (presumably) smaller amount of money compensating those affected. A Microsoft Surface pro sounds about right! Perhaps MS will go halves on it?

0 Kudos
MCupe
Beginner

Nevermind,

I found the awnser somewhere else on this board:

At the bottom of the original post of :

Which means Intel is selling a lot of tablets in their store in the $1000-range wich won't be able to run windows 10 without any notification of that fact. I find this quite disturbing.

That same post provides everybody who realy wants to run windows 10 with an advanturous option:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_devices/how-to-install-and-update-drivers-in-windows-10/a97bbbd1-9973-4d66-9a5b-291300006293 How to: Install and Update drivers in Windows 10 - Microsoft Community

You can instal windows 10 using one of the tricks to skip the waiting line (the internet provides) because this also skips the Download Windows App. Afterwards, Windows 10 will (probably) revert to it's basic graphics adapter so you can try to get the current intel adapter to run under the compatibility-mode.

You might want to make a recovery-usb with 8.1 and backup all your files, just to be sure:

https://www.winhelp.us/create-a-recovery-drive-in-windows-8.html https://www.winhelp.us/create-a-recovery-drive-in-windows-8.html

Good luck !

0 Kudos
ADagn
Beginner

Hi Michiel, thank you for your answer, I will read the information that you've suggested and try this alternative, worst case I rollback.to Win 7 SP1.

Thank you again!

Regards

Ariel

0 Kudos
dgibb4
Beginner

i forced the upgrade on my atom z2700 asus vivotab smart using the following

http://www.myce.com/news/registry-hack-allows-installing-windows-10-on-atom-based-windows-8-tablets-76968/ http://www.myce.com/news/registry-hack-allows-installing-windows-10-on-atom-based-windows-8-tablets-76968/

i agree that is unbelievable that intel/microsoft could be so cavalier in selling so many windows 8 products without any upgrade plans. very bad for their reputations.

my 7 year old dell desktop has gone from vista to windows 7 to windows 10 with no problems.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I was able to install Windows 10 preview release build 10130 on my ACER Aspire One with a GMA 500 chipset. This build uses the Microsoft default graphics at 1024 x 768. The Netbook's screen is 1366x768. Microsoft doesn't seem to support any wide screen displays in their generic driver. However, when Microsoft tries to upgrade to the release version, the installation freezes at 97% while configuring settings. I've downloaded the 3 gig installation at least 5 times, maybe more, and the results are always the same. I've started with a clean install of Windows 7 ultimate and Windows 7 Starter. I don't know why but it may be the graphics driver that is causing this. I would be OK with using the default driver and hope for the best in the future. Customer community pressure can do wondrous things. And if someone goes a legal route, it might happen faster if they have grounds.I have another ATOM based computer with GMA 3650 and this one does install using the default driver.I have that one at 1280x1024 with a 1080p monitor.

UPDATE:

I got the release update working by fooling the installation process. I swapped hard drives with a computer with a different ATOM (GMA 3650) that the update worked on. Then I did the upgrade from the second computer. This time it worked (didn't stop at 97%). Then I swapped the hard drives back and the Aspire One is now running Windows 10 final release version. It is using the default graphic driver at 1024x768. When I tried the Windows 7 driver on the second ATOM, it crashed and I had to revert to get the computer to work. This one has GMA 3650. I hesitate to try it on the GMA 500 Aspire One. In case you haven't heard, Intel is not supporting the GMA 3600 series at this point either. This whole situation can't be good for Intel's reputation. If they choose not to support their products, people will reconsider the actual cost of the Intel graphics solution vs Nvidia or AMD/ATI who are continuously releasing driver upgrades for older products.

0 Kudos
TAtki
Beginner

A suggestion I heard on one forum was to install the windows 7 driver in compatibility mode. I have not been able to try it with mine as it seems to have gone mad but the chap who had originally posted seemed very happy with the suggestion so perhaps it works.

0 Kudos
adela2
Beginner

hi everyone

i just successfully installed the W7 driver (latest version downloaded from intel download center) in compatibility mode on my asus eeepc 1101ha (atom z520 + gma 500) after upgrading to W10.

So far, so good, but sometimes the screen goes completly dark : moving the mouse pointer around does the trick and progressively reveals the content beneath. the laptop is not frozen either, which tends to prove that this is a minor trouble.

anyway that's way better than having to work with the streched screen!

0 Kudos
DLeke
Beginner

I know this thread is old, but it is the highest ranked on Google for the Intel GMA 500, so I figured that if I replied here it might help people.

There is a generic GMA 500 driver from Intel for 32 bit Windows 7 that has worked for me on netbooks under Windows 10:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19155 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19155

Unzip it onto a memory stick and plug it in.

On the Windows 10 target machine:

1. Right-click on the start icon and choose "Device Manager"
  2. Expand "Display Adapters" and right-click on the generic display device
  3. Select "Update Driver Software..."
  4. Select "->Browse my computer for driver software"
  5. Click the [Browse] button; select the folder containing the extracted files
  6. Click the [Next] button
  7. Wait (it is probably an under-powered netbook, after all).

This driver actually worked better on Windows 10 than the OEM driver (Fujitsu) worked on Windows 7.

Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Thanks for sharing the information about drivers for Windows® 10 on GMA 500.

Allan.

0 Kudos