Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14405 Discussions

Hex core 2.66Ghz version?

idata
Employee

Hi im sorry if this has been answered in another thread/is in the wrong place, but is there any talk of a 2.66Ghz version of the 980X?

Because I'm sure that the core i7 extreme version was closely followed by the i7 920 however I have yet to see the same happen with the hex cores.

I only ask as I am looking to upgrade and would like a hex core, but cannot afford £880 for the 980X. Furthermore when the i7 extreme was released at approximately the same price as the current price of the 980X and the the i7 920 was released at about £220, which is more my budget!

Thanks

Dan

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

The i7 980x is currently the only desktop grade hex-core CPU available from Intel. In Q3 of this year, they plan to release a 3.2GHz non-extreme edition version of it. but that is the most i've heard of Gulftown hex-core CPUs without going into Xeon class processing. and i'm sure that the processor will retail for a pretty penny. I'd guess at around the price of the i7-960 or possibly slightly higher.

idata
Employee

Thanks for your response! You were right, however the 970 is still way over my budget at £670. I Think I might have to go with a 920 or 930 because the price of both the 970 and 980X are way over my budget! How long does it take to release a lower clocked version! just change a few fuses and change the clock frequency lol Has anyone heard anything else on the subject of new hexacores?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

In all honesty. most people don't need the hexacore. I personally own a 980x and it's way overkill for most things.In regard to typical use, including games, an i7 920 - 930 has just as good a results. Many modern CPUs even an i3/i5 will get you by for most anything, unless you're doing heavy video editing/conversion and multi processing rendering and things like that. as for a lower clocked version, Intel can easily reprogram a chip to run at a lower clock with little effort I'm sure. However, if they did that then they'd risk undermining the lower chips. they WANT the 970 and 980x to be the top of the hill, thus the premium charge. In all perfect honesty.... I'd rather buy an extended motherboard and spend the extra money on graphics card(s) or fast storage media. Those upgrades will typically yield a far better performance result per dollar. the hexacore systems are geared towards pro renderers and video artists and servers primarily and are not really intended for everyday use. (unless your one of those enthusiasts people who just likes to stay up to date and always have the best)

0 Kudos