Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14534 Discussions

can I run i7 6700k using only 4 pin atx12v1 ? with Tt PSU 700w , 30 apere on 12v rail . Installed only one HDD and one DVD RW. Please , it's urgent . My regards.

stb
Beginner

can I run i7 6700k using only 4 pin atx12v1 ? Because I have only one 4 pin atx available . Tt PSU 700w , 30 apere on 12v rail . Stock ,No overclocking .

Just normal everyday use , browsing , videos , youtube , office . I don't push it to even 80% load at any occasion.

Installed only one HDD and one DVD RW.

Is it safe or a risk ?

Is there harm to the cpu anyhow?

Please , it's urgent . My regards.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello, SHi7:

Could you please provide me with your motherboard model?

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
stb
Beginner

First , Thanks for your time regarding my question.

My mobo is gigabyte z170x gaming 3 .

2x crucial 4+4 g

I know mobo has 8 pin atx 12v , and that it's surely right to use it. My psu has 4+4 pin atx 12v , but the problem is one of these dual 4 pin was cut after being damaged .just the crimp was cut.

I 'm not willing to upgrade my psu for a while. It's healthy though , and provides sufficient power . I used it for 3 years with more power hungry build that had a 6 pin GTX gpu , 3 more HDD's and core2duo 65w that worked under heavy loads several consistent hours in many occasions. I mean 90% cpu load.

I assume that power consumption is similar if not less with 6700k as it's a more advanced architecture. ( power wise ) if I may call it.

Also , I've read and knew through googling that these extra 12v cables are intended mainly to provide more power to the cpu in a relative way to the load and usage to ensure stability and long term reliability and prevent crashes to cpu or PSU if power exceeded . and that one 4pin connector is needed to operate the cpu.

And that these pins are related to cpu TDP . the 4 pin atx connector can handle power up to 130~150 w. as the legacy core2 quad cpu of 130 TDP worked all with only one 4 pin connector . as I know 6700k is only 91 TDP.

and there are motherboards with only 4 pins or 8 pins or even with 12 pins . Like the extreme editions of motherboards. So it depends on usage , loads and the whole configuration of HW.

That is ; as I learnt , I's a total of what the parts consume and a matter of power consumption , overclocking and so.

I know I tell so many things , but because I don't like to damage any hw.

So my two questions are :

If I'm using it for a few months with mild work loads and the volts, temps and wattage are normal . and the system is stable ,

Am I doing any wrong to cpu or even the voltage regulators circuit on the mobo ?

My last question please , Is there any facts I talked about wrongly of what I said?

Thanks for your patience and time. I appreciate it.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Sure, you're welcome.

/thread/103496 SHi7, I sure understand but I cannot guarantee that such configuration will work, you will be taking a big chance of damaging the motherboard along with the processor, it is fifty-fifty chance scenario.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi, SHi7:

I am curious, did you go with the 4 pin or got fully PSU coverage? Some feedback would be good to have if 4 pin config was used.

Hope we can hear from you soon.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos