Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

Sandy Bridge Core i7 HD graphics - Unable to connect to TV via HDMI in Win7 x64.

idata
Employee

I've got a laptop running a Core i7 2720 as well as an NVIDIA GeForce GT 555m card. Perhaps I don't understand this as much as I should, but it seems to me that nearly every graphical aspect of my laptop depends on the onboard graphics provided by Intel. Anyway, I'm having trouble connecting to a TV via HDMI (an Insignia 26'' TV). When I have the HDMI cord connected to both places and the input correctly set on the TV, I cannot use the TV as an external display at all. Nothing works - Windows key + p, NVIDIA control panel, Intel HD graphics control panel, Win7 "Screen resolution" - none of these can configure the external display even though the TV is definitely connected correctly. Strangely, when I change the TV's input to accept the other HDMI input (which is connected to a cable box), the laptop magically finds the TV and gives me options in the NVIDIA control panel and in Windows 7's "Screen resolution" options. Intel HD graphics control panel still doesn't provide any options for external displays at this point, which makes me think Intel is the weak point. Even so, the options available are entirely useless because it's not like the TV is in the correct input mode - it's not, but my laptop can still detect the TV. At this point, if I switch back to the correct input mode on the TV (the other HDMI input), the laptop's graphics are exported to the TV for about 10 seconds, then it pretends the TV is completely disconnected even though I haven't touched anything.

To further my belief that the Intel HD graphics is screwing things up, I tried connecting to the TV via HDMI, making sure the input was correct on the TV (the connection is correct at this point), then disabling the "Intel HD Graphics Family" display adapter in Device Manager. Sure enough, the laptop immediately projects graphics up to the TV - my guess is that the 555m card takes over at this point and actually works, but I'm not sure why it works.

On top of all of this, my laptop was able to connect to this TV last week just fine. I think I had to restart to get it to recognize the TV when I tried it (which none of my other laptops have to do), but it was working, and I've changed nothing since then. Just now, I've updated the drivers, getting them from Intel's website, but nothing has changed. I've searched around and seen issues with the latest driver and some TVs, but it's not the same as my issue.

I know this is complicated, but does anyone have any idea what's going on? Any ideas on how to fix this mess?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
idata
Employee

I'm having the exact same problem. I guess this is what you get when you buy Intel. If this was AMD I wouldn't be having this problem. Even if I did have an issue, they would at least provide some support!

Well how about it Intel? Any thoughts? It's been 9 days since the first guy posted this question.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I didn't know Intel made laptops. What model do you have?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Same problem on my Desktop PC with Asrock H67M-GE and Core I5 2400 Intel HD Graphics 2000 windows 7ultimate x64 sp 1

I have tried every major driver from other posts on intel communities I contacted Intel tech support NOTHING!

What I get was just this reply:

We have tested computer with an Intel® HD Graphics 2000 using the driver 8.15.10.2361, using Microsoft* Windows* 7 x32 with clone display and extended display using the Samsung monitor and cables and the system works fine.

At this point we suggest you to refer to your motherboard manufacturer directly for further troubleshooting assistance on this issue.

How I think, if after uninstalling Intel driver my HDMI TV works fine there no problem with my MB it's Intel driver problem Or I'm wrong?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

All I can say is that HD 2000 works on the Intel motherboard with Intel drivers. I use a 22" LCD (DVI) for the boot and desktop display and, on occasion, a 24" LCD (HDMI) TV for an extended desktop and WMC. I suspect your problem is with using Intel drivers on a non-Intel motherboard. You should be using the drivers supplied by your motherboard manufacturer. If there's a problem with their drivers, you should take it up with them. It wouldn't be the first time a board manufacturer didn't implement or support a CPU feature correctly. Why blame Intel? HD 2000 works and it works great.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

To try assist ill add my support call to this thread, sounds very similar to my problem. hopfully if we get a few people on the same page we can get some actual help instead of "return a perfectly functional part BS"

When i update the graphics driver or change a setting that applies to the HDMI adapter the confirmation message box pops up and says everything is fine, when i restart no HDMI signal is displayed on screen after the windows boot logo (assume when the graphics driver is started)

To: Intel

The graphics processor works fine so does the motherboard, simply returning this device is not the answer and would cost Intel and Zotac money that does not need to be spent. It will also cost me time and money to post, as well as carbon that does not need to be thrown into the atmosphere.......

Is it possible to escalate this call to someone who knows how to modify the registry settings for the HDMI output so i can put it back to 59Hz refresh (the last known good configuration) i think i know where they are but settings are in HEX format so i want some guidance to change them back to mailto:1080p@59Hz 1080p@59Hz

with 32Bit colour.

I'm unable to change this with DVI or through Remote Desktop Protocol via the Intel graphics driver software because the driver software displays only configuration settings for the current output.

I will be able to fix this problem if I format my computer, but I have done this many times for this exact problem. So this tells me the uninstallation program Intel included with its graphics driver does not remove all traces of the driver - leaving some reference to the incompatible settings for the HDMI output.

So to save everyone time and money I would like to fix the source of the problem, the driver configuration for HDMI output in the registry.

Thank you.

Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 06:44:40 -0700

From: mailto:SUPPORT.REPLIES@MAILBOX.INTEL.COM SUPPORT.REPLIES@MAILBOX.INTEL.COM

Subject: {ticketno:[8000287003]} - Your Intel Customer Support Inquiry

To: "Chris Matthews"

Hello Mr. Mattews,

Thank you for contacting Intel Technical Support.

At this point it could be a problem with the HDMI port located in the motherboard, or the graphics controller located in the Processor.

My recommendation is to replace the motherboard first, and if the issue persist replace the Processor with place of purchase, or you can do it with us as well.

Sincerely,

Michael U.

Original Text

"Chris Matthews"

To:

mailto:support.replies_@mailbox.cps.intel.com support.replies_@mailbox.cps.intel.com

CC:

Sent:

07/19/11 14:14:53

<p style="LINE-HEIGHT: normal...
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi

Did you find a solution. The problem still exists with Intel graphics HD4000. except ony the VGA works in windows 8 64bit, no DVI, no HDMI unless I reload drivers then I can't re-boot.

Thanks

Steve

0 Kudos
DArce
Valued Contributor III

Steven,

Please provide the dxdiag report generated in your system.

To do this you can go to the start menu, type dxdiag and then press enter, save the report with the option present there and post them here, please.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

So here is THE answer.

And I wish Intel would document this along with the Mother Board makers.

Intel video 3000 can use any HDMI cable

Intel video4000 MUST have a 1.4 or higher 3D/ARC cable.

Check Amazon for the best prices. You don't need even the $50.00 version. I'm running 3D Blue Ray and 3D TV on a $10.00 HDMI cable and it looks great. I can even control my Denon ARV2113 with my TV or BD remotes.

Too easy, try it first then if it doesn't correct your problem yell at Intel some more. As long as HDMI has been around there is no reason Intel can't get this right, especially since it worked with Intel video 3000.

0 Kudos
DArce
Valued Contributor III

Steven, thank you for the insights that you have provided on this issue. Let me forward this information to the appropriate department.

0 Kudos