Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4762 Discussions

Intel RS2BL080 boots unbelievable slow!

idata
Employee

Hello everyone!

I have had some issues with Intel RS2BL080 RAID card (which i have now connected to 6 x Hitachi 2TB drives), and after visiting Intel Support Area i've noticed a new firmware update that would solve it. I've downloaded it (Firmware IR3_2108SASHWR_FWPKG-v12.12.0-0048), flashed the RS2BL080 card, and rebooted.

Everything looks ok (my RAID5 is still intact, thanks God for that), but the booting process (where the RAID and drives are identified) went from 15 seconds to arround 4 minutes. It's unbelievable slow, and i really need that fixed (this is a web server where every second of downtime really counts!).

Please let me know how can i fix this!

Thank you in advance!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Nobody knows how to fix this?

0 Kudos
PSCHR
Novice

You are lucky, after updating my RS2BL080 to the latest Firmware, i cant boot. Need to downgrade.

Intel claims that the drives are not on the compatiblity list, but before the updrage it runs perfect.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I can't believe this from Intel. This card was the most expensive RAID controller for PC i could find... with those money i could get a NAS and have more features and less issues. I think it's just a problem with the latest updates... Can we get the detection part fixed, please?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

"viewed 355 times and 0 helpfull answers"... Hmm...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Now viewed 3155 times and nothing helpful in one year and a half, not even from Intel. And the problem only got worst by each update (slower and slower boots).

Anyway, the Intel RAID board died on me. I just RMA'd it, but the new one just made my RAID disappear (more details in here /message/174294# 174294 http://communities.intel.com/message/174294). And now i've lost 10TB of important data because of it.

Considering the issues i've had, I don't think i will ever buy an Intel board again. Support is almost zero (the tech guy is asking me now if i have the drivers for Windows installed, while i told him a couple of times there is no need for drivers to use CTRL+G and use the RAID BIOS)...

0 Kudos