Intel vPro® Platform
Intel Manageability Forum for Intel® EMA, AMT, SCS & Manageability Commander
2827 Discussions

Temperature problem with core duo E8400

idata
Employee

Hi all

my problem is simple, the processor's sensors give me an incoerent report of temperature.

When I turn on my pc the temperature is already at 49° celsius and under stress took 63° celsius, it is evident that the sensors don't work good because if I put an hand on the cooler is warm not hot and the fan go slow.

Moreover I tryed to put down the temp of the cpu by open the window in winter ( external temp 10°), so it didn't go under 42°c!

The pc is preassembled and I think that is good crafted.

The cooler is the original Intel cooler.

My question is:

Intel know if the problem is frequent with this model(E8400)?

What I have to do? can ask my vendor to replace the cpu?

Thanks for reading

K88

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi there,

Actually if your system is reporting high temperature (which i dont think it is), you will need to check for motherboard manufacturer.

It can be due to any of these:

a) bad integration

b) PSU not version ATXv2.2

c) Chassis is not TAC (Thermally Advantage Chassis)

d) BIOS Issues.

Make sure that you are reading the temperature from the BIOS itself.

Steps to try:

Re-integrate the cpu with new clean thermal paste.

Check with the board manufacturer if there is any update to be done. If yes, then update the BIOS of the board.

If not, fixed, try the system out of the chassis as a test.

Make sure that you have a good PSU as well.

Check with board manufacturer if there is any fix from their side.

Note: the cpu can go up to 72.4C (you can add 5 more degrees to it)

Website: http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=33910 Check this link

Kind Regards,

Aryan.
0 Kudos
JLodh
New Contributor II

Hi K88,

First of all, E8400's thermal specifications say that it can operates at 72.4°C so 49 or 63 is okay but then be advised that this is the internal thermal temperature I am referring to, not the room temperature.

Secondly, I would never advise you to open the case of the chassis, to cool the system or whatsoever because the dust particles are easily sucked by system components increasing the chances of damages or hardware malfunctioning. Intel validated chassis are designed in a way that the heat flow is well handled and there is no need to open the chassis lid unless otherwise.

Third, you can control the fans speed for the chassis from the BIOS (if it's updated) however you might not be able to control the fan speed of your PSU. If you suspect it's slower than it normally should, you can always replace your PSU to confirm it's operation. But I am unable to understand what you mean by "Intel Cooler", if you could kindly elaborate that.

Last but not the least, if you suspect that your CPU is over-heating (thermal shutdown is experienced if the CPU exceeds it's operational temperature), kindly check with your vendor and instruct him to check the thermal solution if it's not dried or almost removed because dried or less thermal solution can actually increase CPU temperature.

I hope this answers your question, feel free to contact us should you have any further questions.

Thank you, have a great day!

--

Warm Regards,

Javed Lodhi

Intel Go Green, Save The Environment!

0 Kudos
JLodh
New Contributor II

Hi K88,

First of all, E8400's thermal specifications say that it can operates at 72.4°C so 49 or 63 is okay but then be advised that this is the internal thermal temperature I am referring to, not the room temperature.

Secondly, I would never advise you to open the case of the chassis, to cool the system or whatsoever because the dust particles are easily sucked by system components increasing the chances of damages or hardware malfunctioning. Intel validated chassis are designed in a way that the heat flow is well handled and there is no need to open the chassis lid unless otherwise.

Third, you can control the fans speed for the chassis from the BIOS (if it's updated) however you might not be able to control the fan speed of your PSU. If you suspect it's slower than it normally should, you can always replace your PSU to confirm it's operation. But I am unable to understand what you mean by "Intel Cooler", if you could kindly elaborate that.

I would strongly suggest that you access the following page and also look up the possible scenarios, just in case:

Last but not the least, if you suspect that your CPU is over-heating (thermal shutdown is experienced if the CPU exceeds it's operational temperature), kindly check with your vendor and instruct him to check the thermal solution if it's not dried or almost removed because dried or less thermal solution can actually increase CPU temperature.

I hope this answers your question, feel free to contact us should you have any further questions.

Thank you, have a great day!

--

Warm Regards,

Javed Lodhi

Intel Go Green, Save The Environment!

0 Kudos