Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14513 Discussions

can i mix a xeon E5649 and xeon E5606 in the same server

DRich15
Beginner

I have a spare Xeon E5649 processor (12 core) I would like to add to my HP G6 DL380 server running Xenserver 6.5, which already has a Xeon E5606 processor (4 core) installed. They are both in the E56xx family, but will they be compatible or are there too many variances?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hello dradmin,

Thank you for joining the Intel communities.

In order for you to have two processors installed they will need to have the same processor core stepping and the same exact model, these two processors have the same core stepping but the model is different and the number of cores, in other words they need to be exactly the same.

Also, I strongly suggest you to contact you sever manufacturer for better support as they are more familiar with your system and how all the components interact with each other. Maybe they will have different information for you.

Best wishes,

Ivan

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello dradmin,

Thank you for joining the Intel communities.

In order for you to have two processors installed they will need to have the same processor core stepping and the same exact model, these two processors have the same core stepping but the model is different and the number of cores, in other words they need to be exactly the same.

Also, I strongly suggest you to contact you sever manufacturer for better support as they are more familiar with your system and how all the components interact with each other. Maybe they will have different information for you.

Best wishes,

Ivan

0 Kudos
DRich15
Beginner

Ivan

Thank you for your help and clarification.

Dean

0 Kudos
idata
Employee
0 Kudos