Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

I5-4310U CPU 2.0GHz - not passing 0.8GHz speed in WIN10

AKoha1
Beginner

Hey,

I have 2 DELL Latitude e7440 , both running WIN10.

On both of them CPU speed stuck on 0.78 GHz.

I tried to reinstall windows and update drivers but it didn't help.

Booting to safe mode solves the issue.

Do you know these issue? Is it be some compatibility issue to some WIN10 features?

BTW - I have 5 more laptops with same hardware that run WIN10 with no issue.

I'll appreciate your help.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, @Assaf_k:

Please try to update your BIOS version at http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/latitude-e7440-ultrabook/drivers/advanced Product Support | Dell US once done, please download the Intel® Processor Identification Utility at https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/7838/Intel-Processor-Identification-Utility-Windows-Version Download Intel® Processor Identification Utility - Windows* Version and attach the report.

Regards,

0 Kudos
EDror
Beginner

Hi

I have the same problem exactly, it seems:

1. Dell Latitude E7440

2. Updated bios to the latest and - I think - then problems started

3. Tried to downgrade back to the previous bios, but it was of no help

4. specs: Windows 10 64, Dell E7440 with I5-4300U, 8GB Ram, 256GB SSD.

Error: CPU stack at 0.8GHZ, no matter what power plan I'm using

It changes for a few seconds if I pull the power plug out, put the laptop to sleep, waking it up and connect to it to the AC again. It lasts for few seconds though

Before I had this problem, I had a different problem - whenever the laptop was running, if I plugged it to the AC, it would halt. I would have to put it to sleep and waking it up and then it was ok again.

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, Junky77:

Is the Enhanced Intel SpeedStep® Technology on? If yes, could you turn it off?

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
EDror
Beginner

But if it's off, then I'll get max clocks all the time - I don't want that.

Also, I noticed something new - if I press the laptop at specific points, the clocks change. Could it be some loose sensor?

Though, as far as I remember, it all started after the last bios update

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Is there any chance to downgrade the current BIOS version? Can you do that, and let me know if the issue persists?

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
EDror
Beginner

Amy, thanks for your time. I think it is partially solved now:

1. Before I posted this issue, I downgraded the bios (to 01) and upgraded one by one, as some users have recommended. It didn't help.

2. Like some other users have mentioned over other forums, pressing the chassis resulted in changed clocks. I had the same issue. I disassembled the laptop and pin pointed the area and found that specific screw was (part of) the problem, probably pressing the metal plate behind the keyboard on some electrical parts. I've placed some thermal pads there and now it does not happen. Obviously, there is some problem with the hardware or software in this case - not sure at all it's the MB fault.

Anyway, it seems like it repeats itself, so for anyone that reads this - you can ask if you want to know what exactly I did and where it was

Thanks again Amy

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Sure, you're welcome.

I am glad to hear that you were able to track this down.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos