Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

My new Skylake i7-6700 freezing during whatching movies

DFlaš
Beginner

Hi, my customized Skylake build seems to freeze randomly (Without BSOD but some messages in manager pc) only when playing movies (avi, mkv, etc. via any player - vlc player, mpc, ets). Sometimes it freezes within 5mins, sometimes i can watch video 1 hour without problem. After restart pc is usually everything is ok.

*Does not freeze when i do any other activities(Surfing the net / leaving the computer overnight) encoding video and etc..

I discused this problem with producer motherboard Asus. They say that they are all right.

Spec:

Processor: Intel i7-6700

Motherboard: Asus Z170M Plus BIOS version 0701

RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 2133

GPU: internal in CPU

PSU: Seasonic SS-360GP 360W

SSD: Samsung 950 Evo 250GB (system) and 2nd OCZ Agility3 64GB (Data)

HDD: WD 1TB

Drivers and Bios are all updated.

If I used my old PC with

CPU: Core2Quad Q9400s

MB: GIGABYTE Sc 775 P35-DS4

RAM: GEIL 4x1GB

SSD: Samsung 950 Evo 250GB (system) and 2nd OCZ Agility3 64GB (Data)

HDD: WD 1TB

I had no problem with freezing.

0 Kudos
20 Replies
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, douda78:

Could you please let us know the driver version you are running? Please go to Device Manger> Display adapters> Intel(R) HD Graphics right click on Properties and then go to Driver, you will be able to see the version installed.

Regards,

0 Kudos
AReye3
Beginner

Not to hijack the thread but considering I'm seeing the same problem and you haven't received a response yet I'll fill in with my details. Mine crashes when video is playing. Sometimes it's a few minutes, sometimes it could be an hour. Does not matter the file type and it also crashes watching web videos (youtube, etc). The only way to recover is to hard shut down, then turn on the computer.

PC is the Asus m32cd-US003T (https://www.asus.com/us/Tower-PCs/VivoPC-M32CD/specifications/ VivoPC M32CD | Tower PCs | ASUS USA)

Specs:

Processor: Intel i5-6400

Motherboard: Asus H110M-PLUS D3 BIOS version 0601 (http://www.asus.com/us/News/q0MwGljgrGeYq7gj http://www.asus.com/us/News/q0MwGljgrGeYq7gj)

RAM: 8GB DDR 3 1600MHz

GPU: Intel Integrated 530 HD Graphics (Intel H110)

HDD: 1TB

I have run into this problem with all the graphics drivers I've tried. The driver it shipped with. Also with the driver automatically downloaded when going through device manager and clicking "update driver", and the currently installed (I installed yesterday) is version: 15.40.14.4352 (64 bit version). I downloaded and installed from here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25620/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-10-15-40-6th-Gen- Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows® 7/8.1/10* [15.40 6th Gen]

I have not tried the beta drivers.

I understand that Intel recognized that the problem with skylake CPU's was only causing freezes while using prime95 ( ), but many users online (myself included) have experienced theses freezes without using prime95. I just need video playing long enough and it will crash.

I see that the user above also has an asus mobo, maybe it's a compatibility problem. Anyway, can you help me troubleshoot or find a solution if you don't think it's the bug described above?

Thanks!

Ariel

0 Kudos
DFlaš
Beginner

Hi ,

i used last updated driver 15.40.14.64.4352.

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

There is new Beta driver available please give it a try https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25749/Intel-Beta-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-10-15-40- Download Intel® Beta Graphics Driver for Windows® 7/8.1/10* [15.40].

Bear in mind that Intel is currently working on fixing freezing and flickering on 6th Gen Intel® Core™ family of products, at the moment no further details have been provided yet.

Regards,

0 Kudos
AReye3
Beginner

I realize that was a response to douda78, but just as an FYI, since that driver also applies to my product I'll let you know. I tried it, and still had the same problem. It seems that beta was mostly for specific games...

Thanks,

AR

0 Kudos
DFlaš
Beginner

Yesterday I also installed new beta driver .....4380 and problem still continue. Example: Yesterday after installation of new beta driver my PC freezes 2x even while surfing the web and 3x during the wathing of movie h264/x264 in mkv container .

And sometimes it happens that the video driver has stopped responding and during that will appear on this message. This appears from the beginning waht i have this PC.

Probably I will send processor for customer claims

0 Kudos
DFlaš
Beginner

Hi,

I have new information and add another observation.

When I am watching movies, just movies and do not work with Internet browsers, so my PC does not freeze. I can also perform encoding, work in MS office without freezing. Whatever.

But as soon as I turn on Internet browser my PC frozen. Even my PC froze as well just when browsing the Internet itself.

It's strange, the problem may be that websites still use Flash Player.

I don´t know, really

0 Kudos
DFlaš
Beginner

Hi,

so, uninstall Flash Player did not help

0 Kudos
MLiks
Beginner

I have exactly the same problem.

Skylake 6600k

Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 3-EU

System is freazing or getting BSOD when starting an internet browser (firefox, explorer)

I checked everything in my system. Tried another Ram, but nothing helped.

0 Kudos
CCris2
New Contributor II

Hi,

Your PSU power makes me think if 360W are enough ... even if cpu is 65W rated when in full load it maybe higher power spikes, and if PSU is to low on CPU rails it maybe a problem. I would advise to test pc with a higher PSU and with higher amps on +5V and +3,3V (20-22A+)

0 Kudos
DFlaš
Beginner

Hi,

I think the power supply is fully sufficient, because the PC at full load takes 200W, no more.

0 Kudos
Ronny_G_Intel
Community Manager

Hi All,

Would you please make sure that your system is running latest BIOS version?

Intel recently released a new microcode update that was provided to OEMs and it should be embedded in recent BIOS.

Regards,

Ronny G

0 Kudos
ABarb9
Beginner

Dude, your cpu skylake have a bug. Look for skylake freeze in google. Sorry.

0 Kudos
CCris2
New Contributor II

Actually I have skylake also and no freeze ... with other mainboard and a 750W PSU, Only problem is with video driver which is a bit buggy, but not when playing movies or watching youtube.

0 Kudos
ABarb9
Beginner
0 Kudos
CCris2
New Contributor II

Well surprisingly, I have enabled all Cstates in bios ... and on my Asrock Extreme 7+ and only problems I had was with the first bios release because was setting memory voltages wrong ... My pc is entering stand by, I even sleep with it on ... and not even one freeze because standby.

0 Kudos
ABarb9
Beginner

And now you will say that the other thousands of people with their Skylake freezing know not set their motherboard?

0 Kudos
CCris2
New Contributor II

If I start pc with default setting my pc is not freezing ... I had to tweak it a bit because my mainboard is setting all wrong voltages, and that's what I think is the problem with all mainboards.

There is a problem with the asmedia drivers and maybe with others also. For me Asmedia SATA drivers was crashing pc with bsod ... Now I use default AHCI windows drivers and everything is alright.

0 Kudos
DFlaš
Beginner

Hello,

Two days ago Asus released a new BIOS for my motherboard "0704" and since then my PC does not freeze even once. So I hope that it is already solved.
0 Kudos