Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14546 Discussions

Upgrading processor & Windows 7

idata
Employee

Hi,

I installed Windows 7 yesterday, and it's running pretty sluggish using a Celeron D processor, so I want to upgrade to a Core 2 Duo using the same motherboard. I know the MOBO and processor are compatible, so I'm really concerned with the interaction of Windows and a new processor.

I installed using an OEM system builder version, which is tied to the machine rather than the user. So my question is this: will Windows see a new processor as a new computer, or will it be ok since I'm using the same MOBO?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hi there,

In general on Intel boards, changing the processor does not make any difference in the operating system, apart from increased /decresed performance.

The system would work as normal, no hardware change errors or warning would be generated.

It will not see it as a new computer or so. You do not need to do any updates or anything at all if you have changed the processor, provided the processor is compatible and you are using the same board.

So, you don't have to really worry as far as I know.

Hope this will be useful to you.

Cheers

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi there,

In general on Intel boards, changing the processor does not make any difference in the operating system, apart from increased /decresed performance.

The system would work as normal, no hardware change errors or warning would be generated.

It will not see it as a new computer or so. You do not need to do any updates or anything at all if you have changed the processor, provided the processor is compatible and you are using the same board.

So, you don't have to really worry as far as I know.

Hope this will be useful to you.

Cheers

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Good to hear. Just ordered the Core 2.

Thanks!

0 Kudos